Thursday, Aug. 11, 2022 |
Share this story
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Carlos Nuzman, the head of last year’s Rio de Janeiro Olympics, will be released from jail following a decision in a top Brazilian court.
The 75-year-old Nuzman was arrested two weeks ago amid an investigation into a vote-buying scheme to bring the 2016 Games to Rio. He is expected to leave prison on Friday.
Members of Brazil’s Superior Tribunal of Justice decided Nuzman’s arrest was not proportional to the accusations made against him.
The court also said Nuzman, former president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, cannot leave Brazil.
On Wednesday, Brazilian prosecutors announced several formal charges against the sports executive, including corruption, money laundering, tax evasion and running a criminal organization.
Charges were also filed against Nuzman’s deputy at the Rio Olympic organizing committee, Leonardo Gryner.
In the filing, prosecutors said the two “promoted, formed, financed, and integrated a criminal organization aimed at committing the crimes of corruption and embezzlement in detriment of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil’s Olympic Committee and the organizing committee of the Rio 2016 Olympics.”
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.