Mayor says budget on track

LIHU‘E — A series of Kaua‘i County Council budget review briefings is generally in line with what Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. wants in his proposed $161.2 million operational budget for fiscal year 2013, the mayor said.

His FY 2013 proposal is Carvalho’s fourth operational budget submitted to the council since taking office at the end of 2008, following the sudden death of Mayor Bryan Baptiste halfway through his term.

Carvalho said that, from experience, the end product usually has some differences between what he submitted and what the council approved.

“(But) we are substantially aligned on most of the main priority items and issues,” Carvalho said last week. “I would expect this year to be a similar experience.”

The mayor’s office will then have a chance to look at all the council’s recommendations and submit a supplemental budget to the council on May 8.

“At this point we are still gathering input from the council and others, and have made no decisions about what may be different in our supplemental submittal,” Carvalho said.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.