The cause of the blaze that engulfed a portable classroom at Elsie Wilcox Elementary School Sunday was not of suspicious origin, Department of Education officials said.
Faulty wiring or an electrical outlet was the source of the fire’s onset, according to the Kaua‘i Fire Department.
While no asbestos was found in the building, officials are investigating a lead-paint issue.
The estimated damage to the 1,050-square-foot wooden building and its contents is valued at more than $100,000, county spokeswoman Mary Daubert said. No one was injured and no other buildings were damaged by the fire.