Arson ruled out in Wilcox fire

The cause of the blaze that engulfed a portable classroom at Elsie Wilcox Elementary School Sunday was not of suspicious origin, Department of Education officials said.

Faulty wiring or an electrical outlet was the source of the fire’s onset, according to the Kaua‘i Fire Department.

While no asbestos was found in the building, officials are investigating a lead-paint issue.

The estimated damage to the 1,050-square-foot wooden building and its contents is valued at more than $100,000, county spokeswoman Mary Daubert said. No one was injured and no other buildings were damaged by the fire.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.