Six new charges have been brought against the man linked with the disappearance of Kaua‘i resident John Elwin.
Hank Jacinto, also known as Henry Calucag, has been charged with three counts of fraudulent use of a credit card, one count of use of a computer in the commission of a separate crime and one additional count of second-degree identity theft.
Jacinto has been awaiting trial without bail for accusations of stealing Elwin’s identity, property and forging documents to steal Elwin’s property since September.
Elwin was exhumed abroad after he was buried in an unmarked grave in the Philippines. Authorities found him dead from a gunshot wound in May. His body was identified in October.
Elwin’s death marks the third missing man to be connected to Jacinto.
Honolulu Deputy Prosecutor Chris Van Marter said he has filed a motion asking that the new six charges are consolidated with the three other charges filed against Jacinto in September.
Whether Jacinto will be charged with murder related to Elwin’s disappearance is unclear at this time.
“At this point, as we have previously stated, law enforcement is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of John Elwin,” Van Marter said.
As far as statutes of limitations are concerned, an arbitrary timeline is not a threat to finding justice in this case, Van Marter said.
“It is not an issue,” Van Marter said.
Jacinto has a federal conviction for bank fraud in a check-kiting scam in 1992.
Long-time Elwin friend Luis Soltren has said repeatedly that he hopes justice will be done in this case.
Van Marter’s motion will be considered in Honolulu District Court on Friday.
Jacinto’s trial is slated to begin Feb. 26 in Honolulu.
• Amanda C. Gregg, staff writer, can be reached at 245-3681 (ext. 252) or firstname.lastname@example.org.