Five ranches from around the island battled at Friendship Do’s Ranch Arena April 23 for the Ranch Rodeo, a benefit for the Kaua‘i Keiki and High School Rodeo Association.
Each ranch participated in every event in order to win bragging rights as the top ranch and a perpetual bowl.
When it was all said and done, ‘O5 Ranch took home first place and Ranch Foreman Stanley Rita earned the perpetual bowl.
Events included cattle loading, cattle branding, pony express, baton race, ribbon race and ribbon roping.
To make it more of a family event, each ranch needed a wahine or a keiki to participate in each contest.
The following ranches participated:
• HP Ranch: Foreman Henry Peralta, Kira Blackstad-Pimental, Kalani Grace, Richard Ruiz, Derwin Lemn, Tracy Pimental, Roddy Kanoa, Toryn Kanoa and Ty Kanoa.
• Kaneshiro Ranch: Foreman Duane Shimogawa, Eddie Lara, Rosanne, Gavin, Marcus, David Shimogawa and Ho‘olai Ludington-Braun.
• ‘O5 Ranch: Foreman Stanley Rita, Kamoi Rafemonte, Brittany Brun, Ross Brun, Bob Brun, Sam Brun and Sumiko Falque.
• Sanchez Ranch: Foreman Evan Vasconcelles, Wendy Tannery , Alexis Vasconcelles, Jeff Orsatelli, Kapua Sugai, Kaleo Kaui and Kristene Sugai.
• Akita Ranch: Foreman Kimo Akita, Karen Akita, Dwight Akita Jr. Candi Akita, Sheri Carveiro, Kelli Carveiro, Cory Carveiro, Chaz Rita, Kevin Fernandez, David Rita, Trevor Rita, Jason Matias, Clint Matias, Stanley Camara, Christine Camara, Kevin Akita, Howard Bukoski and Louie Boy Matias.
After the Ranch Rodeo, a Handicap #5 Roping was held.
The top team was Chaz Rita and Kevin Fernandez, who took home a buckle and a check.
Fastest time in the first go went to Ross Farias and Lance Fu. Fastest time in the second go went to Ross Farias and Bob Farias Jr. Fastest time in the third go went to Chaz Rita and Kevin Fernandez.
Second place went to the team of Ross Farias and Bob Farias Jr. Third place went to the team of Robby Farias and Lance Fu. Fourth place went to the team of Sam Brun and Lance Fu.
Bob Farias Jr., Lance Fu, and Kimo Akita helped out with stock contracting.
A Paniolo Challenge is scheduled for June.
- Duane Shimogawa Jr., sports editor, may be reached at 245-3681 (ext. 257) or firstname.lastname@example.org.