Ruth Knudsen Hanner (1901-1995) was the granddaughter of Valdemar Knudsen, a Norwegian who settled on Kauai in 1852 and became konohiki of over 100,000 acres of west Kauai, and Annie Sinclair, the daughter of Eliza Sinclair, who purchased Niihau from Kamehameha V in 1864.
Three Kauai girls – Elithe Aguiar, Leimomi Buchanan and her sister, Marvelyn Buchanan – appeared in the movie “Blue Hawaii,” a musical romantic comedy starring Elvis Presley, Joan Blackman and Angela Lansbury that was filmed in Hollywood, Oahu and on Kauai in 1961, with shooting beginning on Kauai on April 11 and largely ending on the 17th .
Hawaiian hula, mythology and chants contain numerous references to relationships between heavenly bodies and heiau.
Denjiro Ota (1873-1936), the founder of Lihue’s Tip Top Cafe & Bakery (now Tip Top Motel, Cafe, & Bakery), was born in Japan and went to work for Lihue Plantation at Hanamaulu following his arrival on Kauai about 1896.
In 1933, John Waterhouse, the president of Alexander & Baldwin, acting on behalf of Kauai shippers using Port Allen Harbor, urged the Board of Engineers for Rivers and Harbors (BERH) in Washington DC to recommend a $880,000 harbor improvement project for Port Allen, of which $200,000 would be funded by local interests.
On Saturday, Nov. 11, 1905, J. G. Wyman, an elderly, penniless fisherman from Kauai, was sentenced in Honolulu to 24 hours confinement at Oahu Prison by U. S. District Court Judge Sanford Ballard Dole for contempt, because he’d failed to obey a subpoena summoning him to Honolulu for jury duty.
William V. Hardy (1863-1950) is best known for having climbed Mt. Waialeale from Kokee to its summit 22 times – 14 of them alone – between 1911 and 1920 to read its rain gauge as part of his work with the U.S Geological Survey – a record number of ascents for its time.
Born on Kauai, Elsie H. Wilcox Elementary School principal Clarissa Piilani Gerdes (1908-1969) was the daughter of lawyer, engineer, sheriff, legislator and Niumalu resident John Haalelea Coney, whose parents were John Harvey Coney, the high sheriff of the Big Island during the reign of Kamehameha IV, and High Chiefess Kekua Kapu o Kalani, a descendent of the Queen of the Puna district, renowned in the meles of Hawaii.
From the 1790s until 1830, sandalwood – the fragrant wood of the iliahi tree – was exchanged by Hawaiian chiefs for foreign goods offered by New England traders, who then shipped it to Canton, China, where they sold it for profit to Chinese merchants, who fashioned it for sale into boxes and chests, or sold it as medicine, perfume, or incense.
Born in New Jersey, Miss Elizabeth H. Middleton, R. N. (1899-1996) was the G. N. Wilcox Memorial Hospital administrator for 23 years, from 1944 until her retirement in 1967.
This Island History was written to honor Clyde J. Caires and the other 12 servicemen from Kauai who were killed in Vietnam.
The old Nawiliwili Bulk Sugar Plant, which was reconstructed and opened for business by Guardian Self-Storage in 2016, was originally built in 1950 for the purpose of storing raw sugar in bulk and then loading it aboard freighters, thereby eliminating the previous, more costly process of filling and shipping sugar in bags.