Kaua‘i road closures week of Janaury 31 to February 4
LIHU‘E — State and county road-work projects will continue this week, weather-permitting, in several locations across the island.
• Preparation and road-resurfacing work along Ala Kalanikaumaka is scheduled from Monday through Friday, Jan. 31 to Feb. 4, from 8 to 4:30 p.m., the county Department of Public Works and contractor Maui Kupuno Builders announced. On Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, equipment mobilization and construction preparation will commence. No lane closures are anticipated at this time. From Feb. 2 to Feb. 4, Ala Kalanikaumaka will be closed to traffic in both directions from the Koloa Road roundabout to Lopaka Paipa Boulevard. Motorists will be detoured to Lopaka Paipa Boulevard during this closure. Anyone with questions may call Maui Kupono Builders at 808-369-1800 or Todd Ozaki at the DPW at 808-241-4845;
• Sections of Po‘ipu Road will be under short lane closures from Monday, Jan. 31 through Feb. 18, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. No road work will occur during the peak traffic times for school drop-off and pick-up, according to the DPW and Pacific Concrete Cutting and Coring, Inc.
The scope of the work includes improvements to pedestrian access to the school, including new sidewalks, crosswalks and ADA ramps. Safe-walking routes for students, parents and pedestrians will be provided. This project is scheduled to be completed in June 2022. Dates and times are subject to change depending on weather and other factors. Anyone with questions or concerns may contact Keith Suga at 808-645-0822;
• Continued road-resurfacing work is scheduled from Monday through Friday, Jan. 31 to Feb. 4, along portions of ‘Oma‘o Road near the Kaumuali‘i Highway intersection, according to the DPW and contractor Maui Kupuno Builders. Lane closures and one-way traffic along ‘Oma‘o Road should be expected from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ‘Oma‘o Road will be closed at Koloa Road to all northbound traffic. Only southbound traffic from Kaumuali‘i Highway will be allowed through the work zone. For more information or questions, contact Maui Kupono Builders at 808-369-1800 or Todd Ozaki at DPW at 808-241-4845;
• The DPW and Goodfellow Bros announced that sections of ‘Akuli Street and Hanama‘ulu Road will be under short lane closures from From Monday, Jan. 31, to Feb. 11. Work is scheduled for the following days and times: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 2:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. and 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Construction work includes improvements to pedestrian access to King Kaumuali‘ Elementary School, including new sidewalks, crosswalks and ADA ramps. Safe-walking routes for students, parents and pedestrians will be provided. This project is scheduled to be complete by June 2022. Dates and times are subject to change depending on weather and other factors. For questions or concerns, contact Tristan Gonzales at 808-462-8057 or Ryan Moura at 808-298-2431;
• A right-shoulder closure and narrowed lanes of Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction between mile markers 5.7 and 6.7, in the vicinity of Leho Drive and the Kapa‘a bypass road, take place from today through Friday morning, Feb. 4, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., for road and shoulder work;
• The DPW and Grace Pacific LLC announced that a portion of Mailihuna Road will be closed from Monday through Friday, Jan. 31 to Feb. 4 from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The periodic, one-lane closures on Mailihuna Road are necessary for sidewalk construction and roadway excavation. A temporary traffic detour route is available through Kolohala Road. For questions or concerns, contact Marie Poynter of Grace Pacific at 808-699-4654;
• A right-shoulder closure of Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction between mile markers 11.8 and 13, Makanani Street and Kukuihale Road, takes place today through Friday, Feb. 4, 24-hours-a-day, for shoulder work;
• A single-lane closure on Kuhio Highway in both directions between mile markers 19 and 21.6, Kapuna Road and Wailapa Street, takes place today through Friday morning, Feb. 4, from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., for road reconstruction and resurfacing.