LIHU‘E — Various state and county landscaping and construction projects will pick up this week, causing traffic delays. Here’s what you need to know this week:
• Road resurfacing work will take place from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. along portions of Waimea Road and Panako Road from Wednesday, Dec. 1 to Monday, Dec. 6, on weekdays, according to the county Department of Public Works. The work is weather-permitting. Anyone with questions may contact Maui Kupono Builders at 808-369-1800 or the DPW Roads Division at 808-241-4847.
• A new traffic signal at Kaumuali‘i Highway and its intersection with Laulea Street and Mahea Road will activate on Wednesday, Dec. 1.
• There will be a single lane closure on Kaumuali‘i Highway between Maluhia Road and mile marker 6 (“Halfway Bridge”) Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 29 and 30, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for brush clearing.
Lihu‘e to Princeville
• A roving, right-lane closure on Kuhio Highway in the northbound direction between Rice Street and Hanalei Plantation Road will take place from Monday through Friday, Nov. 29 to Dec. 3, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for installation of weed-control matting.
• A right-shoulder closure and narrowed lanes of Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction between mile markers 5.7 and 6.6, in the vicinity of Leho Drive and Kapaa Bypass, is on now through Friday, Dec. 3, 24-hours-a-day, for road and shoulder work.
• A portion of Mailihuna Road will be closed from Monday through Friday, Nov. 29 to Dec. 3, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., for sidewalk construction, according to the DPW and Grace Pacific LLC. A temporary traffic detour route will be available through Kolohala Road and Hau‘a‘ala Road. Anyone with questions or concerns should contact Marie Poynter of Grace Pacific, LLC, 808-699-4654.
• A shoulder closure and lane shift on Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction between the vicinity of the mile-marker 12 sign to Kukuihale Road will take place Monday through Friday, Nov. 29 to Dec. 3, 24-hours a day, to allow crews to work on center-lane widening without lane closures.
• A right-lane closure of Kuhio Highway is possible in either direction between the vicinity of Moloa‘a Stream, Kapuna Road and Waiakalua Street, Monday through Friday, Nov. 29 to Dec. 3, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for landscaping. Work will begin in the northbound direction and will switch to southbound once northbound landscaping is completed.