Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022 |
Share this story
HONOLULU — The Hawai‘i Department of Health is offering guidance to help families have a safe and fun Halloween.
“Celebrating Halloween is a special event for families, and it is possible to take steps to celebrate safely. Outdoor gatherings are safer, and consistent handwashing and mask-wearing are recommended,” said DOH Director Dr. Elizabeth Char. “All children 12 and older are eligible to be vaccinated and that is really the best way to keep our children safe during Halloween and the upcoming holidays.”
Ideas for safer, low-risk activities include hosting a scary movie watch party online, organizing a neighborhood pumpkin carving contest and carving the pumpkins with people in your household or hosting a virtual Halloween costume contest.
DOH recommends that Hawai‘i residents stay updated on county gathering guidelines and follow these recommendations:
• Incorporate a cloth or surgical mask into your costume that covers both your nose and your mouth. A costume mask is not a suitable substitute. Choose bright colors and flame-retardant materials. Add reflective tape to costumes or treat bags if families plan to be out after dark.
• Set up low contact, pre-packaged treats for trick-or-treaters.
• Outdoors is safer than indoors. Trick-or-treat in small groups outdoors or enjoy other outdoors activities. Avoid crowded indoor parties.
• Stay home if you are feeling sick, even if you are experiencing mild symptoms.
• Wash your hands before eating candy. Parents should examine treats before consumption.
• Get vaccinated: Adults and children age 12 and older should get a COVID-19 vaccine, and everyone six months and older should get a flu shot.
For more information, visit hawaiicovid19.com/.
A well known public official just died from covid, even though he was fully vaccinated and the DOH is still saying it’s the best way to protect ourselves against covid? How long are they going to push this lie? Masks don’t prevent covid either, When will all of the control stop? This is a FREE country, let people govern themselves, we don’t pay politicians to tell us what to do or make health decisions for us, enough is enough
Your anecdote doesn’t support reality. One person dies. Sorry about that – but it doesn’t exist outside of the expected parameters. The vaccines were never said to be 100% effective. They are, however, much better than not having them. Some are over 95% effective. That leaves 5% where they won’t be preventative.
Again, masks greatly diminish the chance of spreading the disease. It’s not 100%, but we don’t need 100% coverage for this to eventually die out. We just need to get close to 100%, as close as we can.
Do your part now and we can all get this behind us faster.
Clearly you are still sleeping. A young guy I know died from the vaccine. The vaccine isn’t a cure and is deadly to many people. Keep on believing the lies. Hawaii is getting worse by the month. The rest of the country treats COVID like the flu and isn’t bound up or scared. Those who are scared can stay inside and be the ones restricted. Most people will recover just fine. If you trust in the vaccine why do you still wear a mask?
In what a strange dystopian time where the doh recommends vaccinations as the best way to stay safe while trick or treating outside. Truly a horror movie in the making. Child obesity and diabetes hospitalize and kill more children than corvid ever will. Sorry but it’s true. A shot is not a cure all. Healthy food, sleep patterns, limited screen time and exercise is far more beneficial for a child.
Why would anyone or government agency even consider letting kids out to trick or treat if this virus is so bad, plus the candy and treats burden the immune system, and make dentists undergo a future surge in dental cavity care.
Stay home give your kids a few ripe 🍎 fruit and brush their teeth and go to bed.
The DOH is recommending that people wear masks for Halloween. Cool. Got it.
Recommend? Why wouldn’t you wear a face mask? Even though the numbers may have gone down, this virus still exist. If you are sick stay home. Are they making any haunted house around town? Or against the ruling?
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.