LIHU‘E – The County of Kaua‘i will be giving away 500 boxes of food on Saturday, kicking off a joint program with the Hawai‘i Food Bank/Kaua‘i Branch and the Kaua‘i Independent Food Bank to provide food for Kaua‘i families who are food insecure every Saturday from May 9 to May 30.
The first distribution will take place at Vidinha Stadium in Lihu‘e on Saturday, May 9, at 2 p.m.
To be eligible, recipients must provide at least one of the following when attending the event:
• Med-Quest / Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) health insurance card;
• Letter from prior employer verifying unemployment: Letter of termination of employment or reduction of hours;
• Letter of eligibility for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits/ Proof of application to UI;
• Letter of successful Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) submission/ Proof of application;
• Card or letter of eligibility for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), etc.;
• Letter of eligibility for Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
• Proof of eligibility for Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly the Section 8 Program); or
• If you don’t have any of the items listed above, please be prepared to verify your need.
Distribution sites were selected based on geographical location and ability to accommodate all aspects of the distribution services, such as vehicle capacity, traffic flow, etc.
The remaining food distribution days are as follows:
• May 16: Hanapepe Neighborhood Center
• May 23: Kapa‘a Ballfield (Bryan J. Baptiste Sports Complex)
• May 30: North Shore (site yet to be determined)