LIHU‘E – The County of Kaua‘i announces the following County-related postponements, cancelations, and changes in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in order to provide for the health, safety, and welfare of the people of Kaua‘i from the potential spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Effective March 17 until further notice, the following SOPs will be implemented at the Planning Department’s front counter:
• All inquiries and communications with the Planning Department shall be through phone at: 808-241-4050.
• A representative from the Department will return any messages within 48 hours of the call.
• All payments to the Planning Department concerning zoning applications or enforcement actions shall be:
• Mailed to “Planning Department, Kapule Building, 4444 Rice Street, Suite A473, Lihu‘e, Hawai‘i 96766”; or
• Submitted through the mail slot located outside of the Real Property Tax Assessment Office, on the right-hand side of the Kapule Building.
• Any payments that are submitted to the Planning Department shall be in an envelope and clearly marked “Planning Department” and shall have the respective zoning application number and/or Tax Map Key listed.
Effective March 17 until further notice, the following SOPs will be implemented at the Division of Motor Vehicle and Licensing’s front counter:
Driver’s Licensing Department will be done by appointment only. Please call 241-4242 to make an appointment. Appointments will be taken on a first call, first served basis.
• Services supported by Driver’s Licensing include, but are not limited to:
• Driver’s Licenses: New, Renewal, Duplicate
• Driver’s Permits: New, Renewal Duplicate
• State Identification Cards: New, Renewal Duplicate
• Commercial Driver’s Licensing
• Road Tests
• Motor Vehicle Department will be business as usual. Please check in at one of the kiosks located at the front of the lobby.
• Services supported by Motor Vehicle Department include, but are not limited
• Registrations: Duplicate, Renewal, Transfers
• Sewer Payments
• Bus Passes
• Titles: New, Duplicate, Transfers
• We encourage the use of the Safeway kiosks for registration renewals. The County will be absorbing the $3 transaction fee to reduce foot traffic at the Kapule building.
• For appointments or to reserve your spot in line, please use https://kauaidmvappt.cxmflow.com/. Remember to check in at the kiosk upon arrival.
Boards and Commissions
• All Boards and Commissions meetings are postponed until further notice.
Kaua‘i Fire Department
• The Kaua‘i Fire Department Strategic Planning forums, originally scheduled from March 23 to March 26 and various locations are postponed until further notice.
• Home Fall Prevention Program, occurring on Tuesdays, are postponed until further notice.
• Hands Only CPR/Stop the Bleed/CERT programs have been postponed until further notice.
Department of Liquor Control
• The Department Of Liquor Control’s managers certification that takes place on Wednesdays at the Lihu‘e Civic Center is postponed until further notice.
Agency on Elderly Affairs
• Enhance Fitness classes have been postponed until further notice.
• Congregate Meals for seniors are now being delivered by Kaua‘i Economic Opportunity.
Housing Agency / Life’s Choices Kaua‘i
• The Adult Friends for Youth (AFY) Inaugural Kauai Annual PEARL Anti-Bullying and Violence Convention Promoting Peace, Empathy, Acceptance, Respect, and Love (PEARL), originally scheduled on March 24 at the Kaua‘i War Memorial Convention Center is postponed until further notice.
• Rotunda Rally, originally scheduled on April 1 at the Lihu‘e Civic Center, has been canceled.
• Sticker Shock Project, originally scheduled on April 3 at Big Save and Times Supermarkets locations is postponed until further notice.
The Mayor’s emergency proclamation authorizes the County of Kaua‘i to take immediate action to mitigate the potential impacts of COVID-19. It allows the County to be proactive in establishing a plan for officials to mobilize resources if and when needed.
The disaster emergency relief period shall continue until terminated 60 days after March 4, 2020, or by a separate proclamation – whichever comes first.