Super Bowl weekend can be a time of more people drinking and driving, and Kauai police will be ready.
“KPD enforces safe driving year-round, and is especially vigilant during seasons of increased celebrations such as the holidays, graduations, and in this weekend’s circumstance — the Super Bowl,” the county said in a prepared statement.
More than one third of U.S. traffic deaths during the 2016 Super Bowl involved drunken drivers, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
In an effort to prevent unsafe driving before it occurs, Kauai police check for those driving under the influence of intoxicants, driving while distracted on a cell phone, not using proper seat belt restraints, and other traffic violations.
KPD offered these tips:
• Have a designated driver if you plan to drink at all. “Buzzed” driving is still considered driving under the influence.
• If you do have a designated driver, make sure they are sober.
• If you don’t have to drive, stay home.
• If you plan to drink, do it responsibly.
• Remember to be a defensive driver.