Honolulu high-rise developer pulls plan for ‘poor door’

HONOLULU — The plans for a proposed Honolulu high-rise have been changed to take out a separate entrance for moderate-income renters.

The original plans reserved an entrance for market-priced condominium buyers and had renters using a different entrance, deemed the “poor door” by affordable housing advocates, the Star-Advertiser reported Monday.

City Council member Kymberly Pine canceled a Zoning and Housing Committee discussion earlier this month because of concerns over the tower design. But Pine said the tower’s developer, ProsPac Holding Group, discussed concerns with key community stakeholders and reached a resolution.

Pine said the new plan calls for a corridor that will connect the two entrances so apartment and condo residents can use either door.

The developer previously said that separate entrances were a logical way to service two buildings with different clientele and amenities.

The proposed Prospac Tower would be 41 stories tall with 350 market priced condo units and 79 affordable rental units.

———

Information from: Honolulu Star-Advertiser, http://www.staradvertiser.com

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.