Firefighters douse Poipu fire

POIPU — A fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage to the Olympic Cafe restaurant in Poipu Shopping Village Monday.

No injuries were reported.

Crews were dispatched to the Olympic Cafe about 8 p.m. Firefighters were told the restaurant’s kitchen stove caught on fire, and a customer, a visiting firefighter from the Mainland, extinguished the flames with a dry chemical extinguisher, according to a county press release.

Firefighters discovered the flames had spread upward into the attic above the kitchen. In the attic, flames were located behind a plywood-enclosed space, which led firefighters to use Ladder 4 to access the roof’s vent and fully extinguish the fire.

The scene was cleared at 11 p.m.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an accident, the release said.

•••

The Garden Island

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.