Are you amazed at how fast this year went by? I certainly am!
Do you remember the goals or resolutions you set yourself last year? Did you even set New Year’s resolutions last year? Most people actually don’t set themselves New Year’s goals, because, subconsciously, they don’t want to disappoint themselves.
If you really think about it, then there’s always something that you want to achieve. Yet, no matter how many times we change our minds, and write things on a list, 95 percent of what we do is all coming from our existing habits. The ability to change our habits depends on the intensity of our emotions and can take anywhere from a few seconds to several years.
Think, for example, if you’ve been needing to lose weight for some time, and then suddenly your doctor tells you that you have to lose weight, or face serious consequences with your health. What do you do? Most likely you’ll immediately take action and try to do whatever it takes to change. Your habits will change quickly, because you’re combining your behavior with your emotions.
If you really want to change something in your life, whether health, financial, relationship related or anything else, you really don’t have to wait for the new year, or some specific day or time, to start.
Here’s a few tips that may help you change your habits and get what you really want:
• Find the real reason why you want to change. How do you know you didn’t have it before?
• Set clear goals with a specific deadline
• Be sure to write it down, and find the most important first step that you need to do — maybe it’s a new skill you need to learn, or new sports shoes, or finding a coach to help you
• Visualize that you have already achieved your goal, and imagine how it will feel
• Create positive affirmations, such as “I exercise every day” or “I can lose weight so easily”
• Pay total attention to what you’re doing, and do just one thing at a time
• Don’t forget to reward yourself!
We can create positive changes and practice creativity by creating positive and great energy. If you want to create a new you, you need to create with a new mindset.
Our thoughts are powerful energy for creating our experience of life, and if we combine our thoughts with emotions then our experience can change instantly.
We can choose what we want to focus on, and how we choose to live. It’s true that we can’t always control everything that happens to us, but we can always control our reactions. Let this year be your best ever, and give a commitment to changing and doing what you love!
Happy New Year! Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!
Time is too slow for those who wait,
too swift for those who fear,
too long for those who grieve,
too short for those who rejoice,
but for those who love, time is eternity.
— Henry van Dyke
(Read by Lady Jane Fellowes at Princess Diana’s funeral)
Ayda Ersoy is a nutrition and fitness director at The Diet Doc Hawaii. She can be reached at DietDocHawaii.com, Ayda@DietDocHawaii.com or (808) 276-6892