HANAPEPE — A flight plan for a Cessna 182H that crashed and burned last week, killing five people, was never filed, according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board.
A flight plan, which details specifics of the flight — the estimated time of arrival to the destination and projected route — is not required, said Peter Knudson, a spokesman with NTSB.
“It’s not at all unusual for pilots to fly without a flight plan,” Knudson said. “It’s the pilot’s decision to write one.”
The Skydive Kauai-owned plane had just taken off from the Port Allen Airport about 9:30 a.m. May 23, when it “made a sudden right turn, descended,” and crashed, the report said.
The plane, which reached 150 feet, caught fire after it hit the ground, the report said.
The pilot, Damien Horan, 30, and the four passengers — skydive instructors Enzo Amitrano, 43, and Wayne Rose, 26, and tandem skydivers brothers Marshall and Phillip Cabe — died in the crash.
Four of the men—Horan, Amitrano, Rose and Marshall Cabe, 25 — died at the scene. Phillip Cabe’s father, Michael, pulled him from the wreckage. Cabe, 27, was taken to Wilcox Memorial Hospital where he later died.
The Federal Aviation Administration is assisting NTSB with the investigation.
According to the FAA database, the plane involved in the crash was built in 1965. Additionally, there are three planes registered to D&J Air Adventures.
FAA has no record of accidents, incidents or reinforcements with Skydive Kauai, said Ian Gregor, public affairs manager for FAA Pacific Division.