Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023 |
Share this story
• Bus system poorly operated • Trump has own version of truth
Bus system poorly operated
I agree with the letter published (TGI Forum) on Monday, March 28.
Take a good look at the bus system. The bus is necessary but it runs empty often, especially at night. The expanded service that was implemented a few years back is not getting the ridership. I am back and forth from Lihue to Princeville and Hanalei once or twice each night. I see these ghost buses every night.
When I see these empty buses I can’t help but think of the waste of fuel, the wear and tear of the buses and roads and the pay and benefits for the driver. We don’t want another shoddy plan like the North Shore Shuttle. It seemed to be thrown together in the eleventh hour, (for political gain) cost the taxpayers a bundle ($200, 000) for six months.
The job was handed to a private entity without going out for bid and the entity was granted special privileges at the airport that all other transportation companies must qualify for and pay fees. The North Shore shuttle could have worked if it was researched properly. But I know for a fact that it wasn’t.
The trash on the highway is only collected by volunteers .Adopt-a-highway is the program. Not every two-mile stretch is adopted. If not, the trash does not get picked up.
The overgrowth on the guard rails is dangerous and menacing. It takes away from the viewplane and restricts vision while driving. And probably rusts the guardrails.
Let’s open the books on the Kauai bus and examine it correctly. Stop wasting our hard-earned money.
Janice Smolenski, Kilauea
Trump has own version of truth
This is in response to Steve Martin’s March 21 letter (TGI Forum), “Trump not afraid to speak the truth,” which itself was in response to an earlier letter by Bill Peterson. Here are some more examples of Trump not being afraid of “speaking the truth.”
1. “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.” (Say what?)
2. In reference to Senator John McCain’s service in Vietnam: “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.” (This coming from a coward who, in the 60s, avoided the draft on five separate occasions.)
3. “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass,” and, “My fingers are long and beautiful, as, it has been well documented, are various other parts of my body.” (I guess you had to have been there.)
4. Finally, on the Tonight Show: “I think apologizing’s a great thing, but you have to be wrong. I will absolutely apologize, sometime in the hopefully distant future, if I’m ever wrong.” (Well, thank goodness for that.)
So, this is the man you’re voting for to represent America as our next president — this sleazy con man and inveterate liar? This is going to make America great again?
Steven McMacken, Lihue
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.