LIHUE — As part of the county’s Integrated Solid Waste Management Plan, the rollout of the final phase of the automated trash collection program took place last week.
Now there are about 18,500 Kauai households across the island using 64- or 96-gallon refuse carts.
To facilitate the transition to the automated collection service, county officials are reminding the public about the proper use of the refuse carts:
– All trash must be bagged prior to being placed in the refuse cart.
– The cart lid must be in the fully closed position prior to pick-up.
– Only trash contained in the refuse cart will be picked up. Trash bags or loose items should not be left next to the cart as they will not be picked up.
– Refuse carts should be placed at least 5 feet away from any object, with at least 16 feet of clearance above the cart. The carts should be placed with the handle away from the street so that the lid opens towards the street.
– Refuse carts should be removed from the street soon after the collection is completed.