Public Meetings for Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014
1:30 p.m., Monday, Moikeha Building, Liquor Conference Room 3
• Business: Discussion-decision making on new business regarding a section under the Kauai County Code addressing the review of personnel costs, real property taxes, travel budgets and contract procedures.
8:30 a.m., Tuesday, Moikeha Building, Meeting Room 2A/2B
• New Agency Hearing: Zoning permit and use permit for the construction of an affordable multi-family residential project in Princeville, situated along the makai side of Kuhio Highway next to the intersection of Hanalei Plantation Road.
• Continued Public Hearing: Adoption of administrative rules interpreting provisions of the Kauai County Code pertaining to the enforcement of single family transient vacation rentals.
Kauai County Council
9 a.m., Thursday, Historic County Building, Council Chambers
• Consent Calendar: Communication from Councilman Gary Hooser transmitting for County Council consideration, proposed amendments to extend the deadline for homeowners to apply for the Home Preservation Tax Limit for the 2014 tax year from Dec. 31, 2013 to Aug. 31, 2014.
• Communications: Communication from the Civil Defense Manager, requesting council approval to receive and expend $475,000 in grant funds from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security through the state Department of Defense for: the State Homeland Security Grant Program’s 2013 fiscal year to continue enhancing the capability of state and local governments to prevent, deter, respond to, and recover from threats and incidences of terrorism, and continue support for the Citizen Corps Councils with planning outreach and management of Citizen Corps programs and activities, such as community response teams and neighborhood watch.
• Communications: Communication from the Director of Economic Development, requesting council approval to receive and expend matching funds totaling $30,000 from the Hawaii Tourism Authority’s Kukulu Ola Living Hawaiian Culture Program and the Hawaii Community Foundation for the 2014 Kauai Nui Kuapapa Project to include ahupuaa signage around Kauai and a website with complementary information.
• Communications: Communication for Council Chair Jay Furfaro, requesting the County Engineer’s presence to provide an update on the county’s Residential Refuse Collection Assessment Process. This update should include, but not be limited to, corrective action to address an audit finding from the county’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, enforcement mechanisms for unpaid Residential Refuse Collection Assessments, the process for managing the accounts receiveables tied to this fee, any associated penalties and the personnel needs necessary to administer this fee collection process.
• Communications: Communication from Councilwoman JoAnn Yukimura requesting council reconsideration of the resolution relating to the implementation of an Environmental and Public Health Impacts Study (EPHIS) and the formation of a Pesticide and Genetic Engineering Joint Fact Finding Group.
• Resolution for Reconsideration: Resolution to implement an Environmental and Public Health Impacts Study (EPHIS) and the formation of a Pesticide and Genetic Engineering Joint Fact Finding Group.
• Bills for First Reading: Proposed Draft Bill 2520 for an ordinance to amend the Kauai County Code and extend the deadline for homeowners to apply for the Home Preservation Tax Limit for the 2014 tax year from Dec. 31, 2013 to Aug. 31, 2014.
• Bills for Second Reading: Bill 2497 to amend the Kauai County Code by adding a new article requiring lobbyist registration and financial disclosure.
Board of Ethics
9 a.m., Friday, Moikeha Building Liquor Conference Room 3
• Advisory Opinion: Request received from the Public Works Director Larry Dill to review and advise whether there is a conflict two outside employment requests for Kevin Suga, bridge maintenance worker, as the owner of Dan Suga Construction and Elvis Aviguetro, bridge maintenance worker, as the owner of Pipe Works.
• Business: Approval of meeting schedule for 2014.