Kaua‘i Relay For Life participants raised over $155,000 and corporate matches could bring the total as high as $160,000, American Cancer Society-Kauai unit executive director Mary Williamson states in a press release.
The amount raised is “real money” she explained, because all expenses were more than covered by the event’s business underwriters.
“It was a beautiful night and you all made it sparkle,” she said.
Winners of team awards were:
• Curves took the Relay Spirit award for the team’s combination of enthusiasm, fund-raising, on-site activities, leading the morning stretch and more.
• Best Campsite award went to Kauai Medical Clinic-‘Ele‘ele for the “Big Kahunas” orange lunch wagon.
• Best Costumes went to “Chemo Queens,” who proved that tiaras and hula shirts are indeed a new fashion statement.
• Best Cancer Control Message was delivered by Tobacco-Free Kauai for its display of 60 pairs of slippers, representing the number of people who die each year from tobacco-related cancer.
• Connie’s Fighters and Survivors was the top fundraising team, bringing in over $16,000.