Shenanigans opens to civilians with passes

Effective today, Shenanigans, the bar and restaurant at the U.S. Navy’s Pacific Missile Range Facility at Barking Sands, near Mana and Kekaha, is open Friday and Saturday nights to civilians who hold current recreation passes to enter the base, a base spokesperson said in a press release.

Recreation-pass-holders may bring up to four of their guests with valid picture identification cards to Shenanigans on Friday and Saturday nights, but must park at the new Pass and ID Office located outside the Housing Gate at PMRF.

The new office grand opening is today, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and blessing.

The 42-car parking lot for the Pass and ID Office will also double as the parking lot for the recreation-pass-holders who visit Shenanigans.

Visitors to Shenanigans must park at the Pass and ID Office and then catch a shuttle to the restaurant. The shuttle will make trips every 15 minutes starting at 4 p.m., and continuing through until closing.

Recreation-pass-holders already at Major’s Bay for surfing or fishing must park at the Pass and ID Office and catch the shuttle rather than driving directly to Shenanigans.

Requirements for the PMRF recreation pass are simple: be a full-time Kaua‘i resident and not have a felony criminal record.

The pass affords the holder the opportunity to surf or fish at Major’s Bay from 6 a.m. to 30 minutes past sunset, seven days a week, as well as access to Shenanigans on Fridays and Saturdays from the first shuttle run until closing.

After 12 months of planning and construction, the Pass and ID Office, designated as Building 1273, is now open for business. The 740-square-foot facility houses a security clerk who operates from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Services offered at the new office include issuing ID badges to visitors and employees, temporary and permanent vehicle passes, and recreation-pass processing.

“We pretty much process everyone who comes on base,” said Lianne Manuel, a security clerk who works at the Pass and ID Office.

To obtain recreation passes, residents must first report to the Kaua‘i Police Department Lihu‘e headquarters records office, obtain the proper form certifying a background check has been performed, and then take that form to the new PMRF Pass and ID Office.

Once received, the recreation pass takes approximately a week to process before it is issued.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.