Side Lines for Tuesday — November 01, 2005

• Epstein walks away from Red Sox


Epstein walks away from Red Sox

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON — Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein resigned Monday, surprising Boston and the baseball world just one year after helping the franchise win its first World Series championship since 1918.

“In my time as general manager, I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization,” Epstein said in a statement.

The 31-year-old Epstein was reportedly offered about $4.5 million for a three-year extension — quadruple his previous salary. But it was still short of the $2.5 million a year the Red Sox offered Oakland’s Billy Beane in 2002 before making Epstein the youngest GM in baseball history.

Although Epstein and team president Larry Lucchino haggled over money, the Herald said Epstein also went through “agonizing soul-searching” over office politics and his relationship with his mentor. The Herald said published reports that contained inside information helped convince Epstein there had been a breach of trust.


New season brings new home for Hornets

OKLAHOMA CITY — There’s a buzz in Oklahoma City. The NBA is in town.

The Hornets, forced out of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, will face Sacramento on Tuesday night, the first of 35 regular-season games at the Ford Center.

“I think it’s going to be wild and crazy,” Hornets coach Byron Scott said Monday. “It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be a great atmosphere.”

Forward P.J. Brown, entering his 13th NBA season and his sixth with the Hornets, is the only player left from the team’s move from Charlotte to New Orleans in 2002.

In two preseason games in Oklahoma City, the Hornets averaged more than 14,750 fans and overcame 20-point first-half deficits in both games — one a win and one a four-point loss.


Runner highlights plight of Pakistan’s disabled

NEW YORK — When an earthquake ripped through Pakistan, Sarmad Tariq tried to persuade his wife to get out of their apartment building and leave him behind. He didn’t want his paralysis to endanger her life.

Tariq survived the disaster, as did his wife, but not without some soul-shaking questions: How many disabled Pakistanis couldn’t reach safety in time? How many newly disabled Pakistanis are there now because of the tragedy?

On Nov. 6, Tariq hopes to bring the world’s attention to the plight of his country’s disabled by participating in the New York City Marathon. The 29-year-old man, a quadriplegic with limited movement in his arms, already planned to race for the same reason before the quake.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.