Rapozo, Souza sentenced in assault case

LIHU‘E — Two men who attacked another man will be spending time in


In a plea agreement, Ashley Souza 27, and James Rapozo, 24, both of

Kapa‘a, were sentenced Thursday for beating Bill LeGro in Wailua over

two years ago.

Circuit Court Judge Kathleen Watanabe sentenced Souza to prison for five

years, and Rapozo to 10 years.

Souza faced up to 20 years behind bars, while Rapozo faced up to 35

years behind bars.

Before being sentenced, Souza said that he was sorry for what he did.

“I wish I could take it back,” he said.

Rapozo also said he was sorry, and suggested that his actions reflected

his rough childhood.

“I’m not saying it’s not my fault, but it is,” he said.

Rapozo’s attorney, Gilbert Kea, said that the incident turned into a

“wilding,” and that Rapozo and Souza “fed off each other.”

Kea said that Rapozo will regret what he did for the rest of his life.

“He’s got a wife, kids, family,” said Kea. “They all support him,” he


LeGro explained what happened when Souza and Rapozo attacked him, and

what happened to him afterwards.

“James was the initial aggressor. I was barely awake and trapped in the

back of my SUV. You laughed while you hit me, (and) called me a

(expletive deleted) haole,” said LeGro.

LeGro said that his ribs and nose were broken, and that he had to have

dental surgery.

Additionally, LeGro said he has nightmares and seizures because he was

hit and kicked in the head.

He said that Souza and Rapozo “took from me my love of camping. That

night you became psychopathic. I’m lucky you didn’t kill me,” he said.

“I don’t think justice will fit the crime. (It was) two years of

nightmares and seizures,” said LeGro.

Along with the prison time, Watanabe ordered Souza to pay $157.34 in

restitution, $9,800 to the crime victim compensation commission, and

$210 in crime-victim-compensation fees.

Watanabe ordered Rapozo to pay $157.34 in restitution, $9,800 to the

crime victim compensation commission, and $255 in crime-victim-

compensation fees.

After the sentencing, Souza and Rapozo were taken into custody, but not

before being allowed to say goodbye to family members and friends.

  • Cynthia Kaneshiro, staff writer, may be reached at 245-3681

(ext. 252) or ckaneshiro@kauaipubco.com


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.