Hotel worker injured in furnace fire

A Kaua’i Coconut Beach Resort employee suffered second- and third-degree burns after a furnace fire Sunday afternoon, and remains in the care of the Straub Clinic & Hospital in Honolulu.

The victim, 40 years old, lit the furnace and the cardboard boxes stored under the boiler exploded, according to an initial Fire Department report.

When county fire personnel arrived at the scene, he was in the hotel lobby. He was transported via American Medical Response ambulance to the emergency room of Wilcox Hospital, and medivaced to Straub shortly thereafter, according to a Wilcox representative. Straub personnel were not immediately available to verify the man’s medical condition.

The spot-fire in the boiler room was extinguished by firefighters after electrical and gas lines were shut off, the fire report stated. An in-depth investigation is being conducted by the KFD Prevention Bureau personnel.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.