The Department of Land and Natural Resources announces the opening of the 2002-2003 Game Bird Hunting Season on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2002. Due to good intermittent rainfall received throughout the game bird breeding season this year, department biologists are predicting good results around the state.
The fall season will run through Monday, Jan. 20, 2003, (Martin Luther King Day) with legal hunting days on Saturday, Sunday, and State Holidays with a few exceptions as noted below. The following special hunts and restrictions will be in effect for the season:
Island of Kaua’i
Hunting Units A, B, H, I and E on the island of Kauai will be open to game bird hunting as scheduled for the entire 2002-2003 Game Bird Hunting Season. Hunting Units F and J will be open to the hunting of game birds with archery equipment only during the same period this year. Hunters planning to hunt in Unit I (Wailua Game Management Area) should review the hunting map at either Rice Gate or the Kondo Gate Hunter Checking Stations to find out which paddocks will be open to bird hunting. Wailua GMA maps are also available at the Lihue State Office Building.
The Waimea Heights Special Game Bird Hunting Area located on western Kauai will again open this year. This area includes portions of the former Amfac Sugar, Inc. sugar cane land west of Waimea Canyon Road (Highway 550), east of Kokee Road (Highway 552) and north of Pioneer Hi-Bred Corn fields. Maps showing the boundaries are posted at the hunter checking stations and are available at the Lihue Forestry and Wildlife Office. The following seasons, special conditions and restrictions will be in effect:
1. Waimea Heights Youth Only Hunting Weekend: One Weekend Only: Nov. 2-3, 2002. Youths hunters are fifteen years of age or younger, who possesses a valid State of Hawaii hunting license. A youth hunter must be physically accompanied by a licensed non-hunting adult, 18 years or older. Interested youth hunters and accompanying adults must check in at the Waimea Heights Checking Station located on Waimea Canyon Road-Hwy 550 (3.75 mile marker).
2. General Public Hunting Season: All bird hunting areas (except during the special Waimea Heights Hunting Area youth hunting weekend) are open to all licensed game bird hunters from Nov. 21, 2002 through Jan. 20, 2003 oil weekends and State Holidays which include Election Day, Veteran’s day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Other Conditions and Restrictions to the Waimea Heights Special Bird Hunting Area:
3. Access to the hunting area will be on foot only. No vehicles will be permitted in the hunting area. Access to the special hunting area is only permitted from Kokee Road or Waimea Canyon Road. Absolutely No Hunter Access will be allowed through Pioneer Hi-Bred corn fields (makai fields).
Game Bird Hunting News Article Oct. 21, 2002
Division of Forestry and Wildlife
4. Safety Zones shall be in effect within 50 yards of the Kokee and Waimea Canyon Roads, Pioneer Hi-Bred corn fields and 300 yards from Waimea Sunset Subdivision and Panini Place residential homes.
5. Hunter Checking Stations are located on Waimea Canyon Road-Hwy 550 (1.75 mile marker and 3.75 mile marker).
Expansion of Kekaha GMA: Puu Opea Area
Sugar cane fields and the adjoining valleys between Niu Ridge and Makahoa Ridge have been temporarily opened to game bird hunting this year, and have been added to Kekaha Game Management Area during this game bird hunting season only. Maps showing the new open area are posted at the game bird hunter checking stations and are available at the Lihue Forestry and Wildlife Office.
Special Conditions and Restrictions:
1. Access into the added hunting area will be on foot only. No vehicles will be permitted in the special hunting area. Hunters may access the hunting area through the Kekaha Game Management Area-Puu Opae section, Kokee section or Maria Tunnels section.
2. No hunter access will be permitted through the makai agricultural lands except on approved hunter access routes including Kekaha-Marine Road hunter access route, Polihale Beach hunter access route and Mana Tunnels hunter access route.
3. Hunters must sign-in and sign-out at either the Kekaha, Maria Tunnels or the Kokee Hunter Checking Stations.
For more information call or visit the Lihue office of the Division of Forestry and Wildlife at 274-3433.