Kaua‘i road closures Dec. 19-23
‘ELE‘ELE — Both lanes of Kaumuali‘i Highway at its intersection with ‘Ele‘ele Road and Waialo Road will be closed on Monday night as part of the pedestrian overpass project, announced the state Department of Transportation Wednesday.
Work crews will be erecting the steel structure for the pedestrian bridge over the highway between the hours of 10 p.m. Monday and 5 a.m. Tuesday.
During the two-lane closure, traffic will be detoured through the ‘Ele‘ele Shopping Center parking lot.
The DOT said all work is weather-dependent.
Other roadwork underway or scheduled this week follows. All scheduled roadwork is subject to change dependent on weather and other conditions.
• A right-shoulder closure and narrowed lanes of Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction between mile markers 5.7 and 6.6, in the vicinity of Leho Drive and the Kapa‘a bypass road, is on now through Friday, Dec. 24, 24-hours-a-day, for road and shoulder work;
• A portion of Po‘ipu Road will be under construction from Monday, Dec. 20 to Monday, Jan. 3, for the start of the Koloa Safe Routes to School Project. Partial lane closures are expected Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 22, 23, 29 and 30, according to the county Department of Public Works and Pacific Concrete Cutting and Coring Inc. Work is scheduled Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There will be no work on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31, in observance of the Christmas and New Year’s Eve holidays. The Koloa Safe Routes to School Project involves improvements to pedestrian access to the school, including new sidewalks, crosswalks and federal Americans with Disabilities Act wheelchair ramps. Safe walking routes for students, parents and pedestrians will be provided. This project is scheduled to be complete in June 2022. Anyone with questions or concerns may contact the county’s Keith Suga at 808-645-0822;
• Sections of ‘Akuli Street and Hanama‘ulu Road will be under short lane closures from Monday through Thursday, Dec. 20 to 23, according to the DPW and Goodfellow Bros. LLC. Work is scheduled from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The lane closures are necessary to begin work for improvements to pedestrian access to King Kaumuali‘i Elementary School, including new sidewalks, crosswalks, and ADA ramps. Safe walking routes for students, parents and pedestrians will be provided. This project is scheduled to be complete by June 2022. Anyone with questions or concerns may contact Tristan Gonzales at 808-462-8057 or Ryan Moura at 808-298-2431;
• A portion of Mailihuna Road will be closed from Monday to Thursday, Dec. 20 to 23, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., for sidewalk construction and roadway excavation, according to the DPW and Grace Pacific LLC. Additionally, one lane on Kawaihau Road may be closed periodically for roadway excavation work. A temporary traffic detour route will be available through Kolohala Road and Hau‘a‘ala Road. Anyone with questions or concerns may call Marie Poynter of Grace Pacific LLC. at 808-699-4654;
• A shoulder closure and lane shift on Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction in the vicinity of milepost 12 to Kukuihale Road is on now through Friday, Dec. 24, 24 hours a day, to allow crews to work on centerline widening without lane closures,