LIHU‘E – Three new cases of COVID-19 were reported by the Kaua‘i District Health Office on Wednesday, May 12.
All three cases are Kaua‘i residents.
Two are adults who are known contacts of previously identified cases and whose source of infection is community-acquired. One is a child whose source of infection is mainland travel and whose mainland test results were received after returning to Kaua‘i. All active cases are in isolation and close contacts are being identified, offered testing, and directed to quarantine. Investigations are ongoing.
Wednesday’s cases bring the number of active cases to 15 with 347 cumulative cases. Kaua‘i’s cumulative case count includes 308 confirmed locally, two probable, and 37 positive cases diagnosed elsewhere, as they received their pre-travel test results after arriving on island.
Vaccine opened to 12 year-olds
The County of Kaua‘i announced Wednesday that vaccine appointments are available to residents aged 12 and older beginning today.
The Pfizer vaccine received FDA Emergency Use Authorization on Monday and CDC approval Wednesday for this age group.
Kaua‘i hospitals and the Lihu‘e Safeway and Lihu‘e Longs are now offering appointments to residents 12 and older. Weekend and evening appointments are available at select locations.
Pfizer vaccine (age 12 and up):
• Wilcox (weekdays and Saturdays, daytime): http://WilcoxHealth.org/Vaccine
• Mahelona (Thursday, May 13, 3-7 p.m. & Tuesday, May 18, 3-7 p.m.): https://kauai.hhsc.org/
• KVMH (Friday, May 14, 3-7 p.m. & Monday, May 17, 3-7 p.m.): https://kauai.hhsc.org/
• Lihu‘e Safeway (seven days a week, daytime): https://www.safeway.com/pharmacy/covid-19.html [select Lihue location for 12-17 years old]
• Lihu‘e Longs/CVS (seven days a week, day and evening): https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine
The Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines remain available to residents aged 18 and older at pharmacy and clinic locations.
Ho‘ola Lahui is now offering appointments to all Kaua‘i residents 18+ at their clinics, including those who are not current patients.
Moderna vaccine (age 18 and up):
• Kapa‘a Safeway: https://www.safeway.com/pharmacy/covid-19.html (seven days a week, daytime) [select “Two Dose COVID Vaccine Appt – Dose 1” for Moderna]
• Ele‘ele Longs: https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine [select Ele‘ele location for Moderna]
• Walmart (seven days a week, daytime & early morning): http://www.walmart.com/COVIDvaccine
• Kaiser Permanente Lihu‘e Clinic (weekdays, 9-11 a.m.): https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/hawaii/health-wellness/coronavirus-information/covid-vaccine
• Lihu‘e Pharmacy Clinic (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 5-7 p.m.): Call (808) 246-9100
• Ho‘ola Lahui, Waimea and Kapa‘a clinics: Call (808) 938-0938 [open to all residents age 18+, including those who are not current patients]
Johnson & Johnson vaccine (age 18 and up):
• Costco (weekdays, daytime): https://www.costco.com/covid-vaccine.html
• Kapa‘a Safeway (Thursday, May 13, & Saturday, May 15, daytime): https://www.safeway.com/pharmacy/covid-19.html [select “Single Dose COVID Vaccine Appt Johnson and Johnson”]
• Veterans and their spouses and caregivers, and recipients of Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affair benefits, can get vaccine through the VA by visiting https://www.va.gov/health-care/covid-19-vaccine/stay-informed or calling 1-800-214-1306.