8 new COVID-19 cases Sunday

LIHU‘E — The state Department of Health Kaua‘i District Health Office reported eight new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday.

One case is an adult male visitor whose source of infection is considered travel-related. The remaining seven cases are in residents. Six of these cases are close contacts of previously-identified cases. The final resident case appears unrelated to any other case, and the source of infection is considered community-acquired. Contacts are being identified, directed to quarantine and offered testing.

“We must not let our guard down and continue to follow safe practices by avoiding gatherings and wearing masks,” said Mayor Derek Kawakami. “If you aren’t vaccinated, please do your part to protect vulnerable members of our community by scheduling your appointment now.”

Vaccination is widely available on the island. For details, visit kauai.gov/vaccine. Those who plan to travel can protect themselves and their families by being fully vaccinated before traveling.

“While the majority of today’s cases are in close contacts of previously-announced cases, we are very concerned with what we are observing,” said Lauren Guest, DOH public health preparedness planner in the Kaua‘i District Health Office.

“We continue to see a high number of new cases each day, and about half of those new cases are the result of community transmission,” she said. “We are all tired of limiting our contact with people outside of our immediate household, but these protective measures are more important now than they have ever been on our island.”

Sunday’s cases bring the number of active cases to 22, with 258 cumulative cases.

1. Uncleaina April 26, 2021 6:21 am Reply

Our cases are up 370% in the past 2 weeks since Safe Travels ended. The plan IS NOT WORKING GUYS!

1. joebiddin April 28, 2021 5:50 pm Reply

Let me get it straight: One adult who traveled to the island and seven are residents. So this one adult had contact with residents and all seven are infected. Mayor Kawakami, its time to lockdown Kauai.

2. Carl April 26, 2021 6:26 am Reply

TGI,

If the cases are being sequenced or not please report that. If they are, whenever we find out which variant the cases belong to please report that as well.

The spread seems to be quicker than the last time we lifted restrictions which is pretty worrisome.

3. Kali Yuga April 26, 2021 8:24 am Reply

How many cases are fully vaccinated? The vaccine is not protective, and that’s been made very clear.

1. DJT April 27, 2021 10:42 am Reply

Correct, as the current mumps, measles, rubella and polio pandemics ravaging the world prove. We should just all go out, take our chances and get sick because Fox News and Facebook are smarter than the global scientific community.

4. nobody April 26, 2021 8:48 am Reply

Yep, it’s us.

5. Doug April 26, 2021 9:04 am Reply

“We must not let our guard down and continue to follow safe practices by avoiding gatherings and wearing masks,” said Mayor Derek Kawakami.” Well Mr Mayor then you need to enforce mask wearing by having KPD ticket. It was ridiculous at the Hanalei food trucks and the Chin Young Village shopping center the past two Sundays, tourists walking around mask less while sipping drinks, waiting in line to order, sitting waiting for food, all well within six feet of other people. We didn’t have any of this outbreak before we opened, so don’t blame residents!! And if KPD is not going to enforce mask wearing then I fully support the locals having birthday parties and gatherings at Anini and Lydgate, why should locals not be allowed these things on their own island when tourists are allowed to run around doing whatever they want!

1. Tony April 27, 2021 4:10 pm Reply

Agree Doug
      Its Monday And I just went to a medical appointment I was over by the new buildings where they have the food trucks by the old courthouse or the new community center and it’s a workday and there was about 12 people I think four of us were locals in the rest visitors and they were all not wearing masks and they’re all laughing about it and not feel like a local local yokel my family can due nothing gotta hide from the visitors and now we got to hide from or own people.
      Lock it down.

6. alien April 26, 2021 9:46 am Reply

Funny Derek tells us to not gather in groups. I just saw him at a concert interacting and taking pictures with people that are not in his family. King covidiot , do as I say not as I do. Must be nice to make rules for others that he does not have to follow. I guess he considers himself above us minions.

1. pua April 26, 2021 4:17 pm Reply

I’m sure the Mayor is vaccinated. You should try it. It’s very freeing. Consider polio – nobody gets it anymore. Guess why? VACCINES. It’s not that hard.

2. Carl April 26, 2021 7:44 pm Reply

What concert?

7. Kauai Senior Citizen April 26, 2021 12:32 pm Reply

Doug, according the the article 7 of the 8 cases are residents. I recall it all started when a Kauai Resident traveled to Oahu and contracted Covid.

8. YuCalJoe April 26, 2021 1:50 pm Reply

I’ll be visiting in July. I have been vaccinated. I plan on having a COVID test done within 72 hours before my departing flight, and as soon as I can when I arrive on the island. I will stay at my resort, practice COVID safety protocols, and wait for the test results. Once cleared, I will venture out, mask and all. I’ve been to Florida via air travel twice already within the past 8 months, visited Disney World, and returned with no issues. I don’t want to get COVID, and I sure don’t want to be the cause of others getting it. Travel can be done safely if the traveler follows protocols. If Kauai locks down again before then, I’ll cancel like I have before.

9. Daniel w Loeffler April 26, 2021 2:00 pm Reply

Hawaii News now reported today that there are 14 cases new today in Kauai! Why is there a difference in your report?

10. Kauai Guy April 26, 2021 3:58 pm Reply

I was waiting for this latest barrage of negative comments, primarily aimed at the tourists.
    It took almost 3 weeks into the reopening of the Safe Travels program and the local economy. Then what happens……a family from Kauai travels to Vegas and returns with the virus. First, the residents are close to being a majority of the people traveling and bringing back the virus. Where is the contact tracing from the County? Traveling to places like Vegas are basically irresponsible choices. Vegas brings together many people, from all over the country, who not likely to be practicing any kind of prevention, like masks. Think of all the people, all the gambling machines that are constantly touched, and all the ATM machines taking money out of Hawaii, and dumping into games and gambling. Can’t you just wait a little longer?
    So here we go with all the people, who have been sidelined with very few cases being reported, that now have the opportunity to trash tourism. I agree that the mask laws should be enforced, for tourists and residents alike. There are plenty of local kids running around who have never had a mask on during the whole pandemic, unless it was to go to the store. Remember, these tourists who are not wearing masks, have been tested. That is more than I can say for all my neighbors who haven’t. The tourists should still be reminded to wear their masks, for sure. Again, these tested tourists are bringing money and jobs back into the economy. They are not all bad people, as the comments in this paper always like to assume. The residents that are traveling to places like Vegas, are draining the money out of our economy at home. This isn’t the time for those types of choices.

1. Doug April 27, 2021 11:52 am Reply

Right. And not one tourist exposed a restaurant worker or hotel worker during that time. They are indeed pure as the driven snow.

11. John April 26, 2021 4:43 pm Reply

Florida and Texas completely reopened and have rapidly declining cases. This virus has a 99.8% recovery rate and good vitamin D levels reduced even that. 3/4ths of Kauai residents have been vaccinated so when do we lift the restrictions and the unscientific mask mandate?

1. DJT April 27, 2021 10:50 am Reply

Florida with no masks has a 7% positivity rate (Tampa Bay Times, Apr 27) while Kauai has an 0.6% positivity rate with masks. And at a recovery rate of %99.8%, that means 1500 Kauai residents would have to die so you can go to Costco without a mask.

12. Watchman April 26, 2021 6:16 pm Reply

Well we had 18 more today and one is the bad variant a tourist had. The tourist had tested negative prior to traveling but later became infected and the virus incubated in him.

13. Eric May 2, 2021 8:04 am Reply

If your vaccinated are you worried? If your not vaccinated are you worried?