Bethany steps away from social media

• Courtesy My Kauai Photos

Bethany Hamilton with guests, from left Laken from Minnesota, Emma from Texas, Alexandra from Washington and Brinkley from Missouri, take a break from surfing at the annual Make-A-Wish Hawai‘i surf camp in Hanalei.

HANALEI — Professional surfer and Kaua‘i resident Bethany Hamilton announced on Twitter that she chose to take a challenge to abstain from social media.

Hamilton didn’t specify the length of time of her abstinence from social media from her phone. She is in her last trimester of her third pregnancy, and wants a break.

“I removed all of my social media from my phone, but I happened to have an older phone laying around, and I put it all on there,” Hamilton said. “It’s been incredibly freeing now that I don’t have easy access to my phone or my social platforms all of the time.”

Hamilton, who has two sons, Tobias and Wesley, with husband Adam Dirks, said abstaining from using social media on her phone has been therapeutic.

“I am spending a lot less time on social media,” Hamilton announced on Twitter. “I really like it. I love my family better, and I just enjoy the day. I can get work done a lot faster and have fewer distractions.

“This stemmed from wanting more privacy, and these media platforms have access to everything on your device,” Hamilton said. “You can be free from these things. Even though they are fun, they are not enhancing our life, in my opinion, and that can be good, too. I love this change I made.”

Hamilton is currently doing virtual motivational speaking and promoting her online course, “The Unstoppable Life,” which focuses on developing mentorships and community programs.

The program shares five steps to living what she refers to as an “unstoppable life.”

These steps include appreciation, direction, our associations, perseverance and being teachable.

Hamilton and her family will have a live-session baby sprinkle (intimate gathering smaller than a baby shower) at 3 p.m. Friday. In order to RSVP for the sprinkle, go to unstoppable.bethanyhamilton.com/babysprinkle/.

1. Major Lee Hung February 3, 2021 3:04 am Reply

I’m sorry,, why are we supposed to care about her social media use? Because she got attacked by a shark 17 years ago?

1. Lynne February 4, 2021 4:34 pm Reply

Because people are interested in knowing details about someone who has defied odds and broken records despite huge obstacles though motivation, dedication and crazy perseverance. Not to mention encouraging thousands of others to do so along the way. Better than 98% of whats on social media and news.

2. Ivana T. Inkle February 3, 2021 4:42 pm Reply

“I feel so free now that I’m abstaining from social media,” she posted on social media . . .

3. Andy Johnston February 3, 2021 11:03 pm Reply

Why would you be on social media to begin with? What a soul-sucking waste of time.

4. Alexandra Stanton February 4, 2021 1:22 pm Reply

To Major and Ivana. Your pettiness is showing. There is
    nothing wrong with wanting to better ones life. We can all but try.

5. who cares February 5, 2021 10:29 am Reply

Is that what god told her to do?

6. The real pandemic February 5, 2021 10:53 am Reply

The real PANDEMIC: social media. I NEVER opened a facebook account and NEVER will. It’s so crazy how people will post everything about their lives. It’s like if you don’t post everything you do then it never happened. Meanwhile the facebook crew is taking, using and selling your personal info and getting filthy rich in the process. Wake up people and drop social media and just return to “living” your life. It’s really the best and healthiest thing you can do for yourself.