Letters for Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Grateful to have Garden Isle Healthcare

I would like to say how much I have been fortunate to be here at the Garden Isle Healthcare & Rehabilitation center for the past year, to have the care of all those wonderful people!

To name a few: Emee, Glenda, Daisey, Rachael, Jennifer, Juliet, Lanie, Lisa, Sally.

There’s a lot more. Let me thank them and all the G.I.M.P. I know they read the paper daily, so I hope they’ll know I am so very thankful.

All my alohas.

I thank you,

Alice Ihara, Lihu‘e

Visitors, stay away for now

My reasons as to why tourists keep coming to Hawai‘i:

1. They enjoy flying with others who might be COVID-19 positive;

2. They like to spend a lot of money to get here and then quarantine for 14 days;

3. They enjoy the thrill of trying to evade local authorities after saying they will quarantine.

Hawai‘i has always shown aloha to tourists. Tourists who come here not knowing if they are COVID-19 positive are not returning the aloha. Our governor and mayors are working hard to keep the locals safe. My advice to for visitors is don’t be selfish and think only about your “vacation.” Stay home and come back when conditions are safe for everyone.

Thomas Cox, Lihu‘e

1. Jake August 11, 2020 1:58 am Reply

Thomas, you have burned too many brain cells. Hawaii’s ONLY industry is Tourism. Everything Hawaii offers can be had in the Caribbean…..and it is cheaper, much shorter flight for the East Coast folks, and the people are much nicer, and don’t have a chip on their shoulder. You need to up your meds based on your comments.

2. norbert woods August 11, 2020 8:03 am Reply

Thomas Cox

Never say ” Hawaii has always shown Aloha to tourists ” I’ve been going to Hawaii for over 20 years, there has always been the occasional 1 finger salute. The way we and other families were treated in March and April this year will be with us for many years.

3. LTEreader August 11, 2020 10:21 am Reply

Hey Thomas,
    The biggest issue is not tourists. The DOH website states 94% of the cases are residents. They’re bringing it back home and sharing – with NO regard for others. If someone is traveling to the Mainland for medical reasons that’s totally understandable. Any other resident that just want to take advantage of cheap airfare should be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish (pretty sure they’re not or they wouldn’t have left the State in the first place). *The most recent cases on Kaua’i are apparently travel related.
    Get it together people!!! 12 days of triple digit cases in Hawai’i is way too many. Although the majority are on O’ahu there’s only so many beds, ICU equipment, and trained medical staff. Traditionally the outer Islands have always counted on O’ahu hospitals for anything serious, but as beds fill up over there that option dwindles.
    Quit treating this so flippantly. It’s NOT a hoax, and it’s NOT a Democrat ploy to make Trump look bad (he does that all on his own). It’s a worldwide PANDEMIC that requires your cooperation so we can get this under control. It’s time to quit whining about your Constitutional rights, and stomping your feet about masks/social distancing because many here have, and are continuing to sacrifice a lot right now!

4. Everythingisawesome August 11, 2020 12:08 pm Reply

Thomas,

4. Tourists just love shopping at K-mart.

Every time I drive by there, that place is packed with rental cars. I can’t even find a place to park!

5. Thats odd August 11, 2020 2:09 pm Reply

thats odd, …the Lihue Kmart did close permanently in Sept 2019. The parking lot is now filled with unused rental vehicles. What Kmart do you go by again?

1. Kimo August 12, 2020 1:34 pm Reply

Thats odd, do you not see sarcasm in “everything’s” comment? Jeezus!

6. Peke August 12, 2020 12:04 am Reply

Thats odd Everythingisawesome was joking and Kmart closed in 2018.