Letters for Thursday, January 23, 2020

Fewer crosswalks are needed in Waimea

Waimea here on Kauai is known as the “walking town.” There are approximately eight crosswalks on Kaumualii Highway through Waimea. This causes a problem in the early evening hours for drivers traveling east and west. It brings traffic to a slow crawl. Some drivers are complaining that it takes too long for them to get home from Kaumualii Highway from Kekaha to their home in Waimea.

State DOT and Mayor Kawakami, is there any way we could lessen the amount of crosswalks through Waimea town?

Howard Tolbe, Eleele

Island is a part of this visitor

Kauai is part of me.

It has become a significant piece of my very core.

When I am not there, it rests quietly inside my being like a comfortable garment, waiting to be taken up once again, to be embraced and admired.

The memories of its beauty bathe my soul just as the joyous waterfalls wash over the craggy mountainsides. I am warmed with the memories of the sensations of the hot dancing sands, penetrating sun, and refreshing showers, as I long for the rhythmic surf. The beauty of this island is reflected in the people I encounter, with their friendliness and sparkle of vitality.

How I love it.

Jerry Ann Kester, Northern Minnesota

1. ruthann jones January 23, 2020 5:48 am Reply

Howard! REALLY??? Put pedestrians at risk to ease your comfort in commute? I know you are not a fan of walking, biking….but please! Shame on you.

1. Howard January 23, 2020 8:40 pm Reply

ruthann jones, “you do not know me!” How dare you assume those accusations of me. To set the record straight. I walk for four hours a day five days a week and on weekends approximately two or more hours.
      Tourists and locals do not always use the crosswalks in Waimea or around the island. They stand on the side and wait for a clearing to cross w/o a crosswalk.
      So ruthann jones, before you assume things of people. Think twice!

2. Wowlaulau January 23, 2020 6:01 am Reply

Please remain a visitor and do not transform to a resident.

3. dawg2000 January 23, 2020 6:32 am Reply

I agree, some of the crosswalks could go. But the main reason traffic in Waimea backs up is because everyone stops to allow people on Wiamea Canyon Dr to make a left turn, so that intersection basically becomes a 4-way stop when toursists are coming down from the canyon in the evening. I’ve heard that a light will be installed there, and it can’t come soon enough!

4. LMat January 23, 2020 9:28 am Reply

LOL. There’s too many TOURISTS in Waimea Town…
    And they don’t use the crosswalks anyway, they just step out into the street (even tho there’s a crosswalk 5 feet away) and expect you to stop for them…

5. Michael Mann January 24, 2020 5:26 pm Reply

Lord have mercy! Now we are asking for CROSSWALKS to be removed! This after asking for STOPLIGHTS ON THE HIGHWAY AT MALUHIA!

This place gets more and more insane by the day.