Letter for Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Changing times, so trust no one

Debi Dill’s letter to TGI this Sunday sure matches my experience yesterday morning. My Saturday edition of The Garden Island newspaper was stolen. Yes, stolen.

I saw Lito toss my TGI paper by my garage door as I was washing breakfast dishes. I figured I would pick it up when I went out to go to Foodland. Hah! No paper. Someone just plain stole it. Sign of the time, so trust no one!

I was born and raised in Waimea in 1932, and would spend summer times at our Hanalei Beach House. In those days, no one took their car keys out of the ignition or locked the car door. No one even locked their house door.

Ms Dill has it right. Nowadays, trust no one and expect to get ripped off. Someone scored one of my credit cards just this past week and it’s now canceled.

So, all of you, on our once-sacred Kauai, trust no one. The newspaper theft was a puny loss, but the stealing action itself bears noting.

Alan Fay‘e, Princeville

1. Ian August 7, 2019 2:30 am Reply

Unfortunately this isn’t just happening in Kauai. When I was a child in the 60’s and 70’s in a city just north of Toronto Canada, life was the same with not locking anything. Now we close all our doors and windows and turn on the alarm when we goto bed. What is happening to society???

2. Steven McMacken August 7, 2019 5:20 am Reply

Really sorry to hear that your newspaper was stolen, Alan. Have you reported the theft to the authorities? Rumor is that there’s a band of newspaper thieves running rampant in Princeville. The prevailing theory is that they’re being re-sold on the street for TWICE their value!! Sick, truly sick. You might consider joining a support group to help alleviate some of the pain and anguish. Hang in there.

3. ruthann jones August 7, 2019 5:29 am Reply

Indeed, it is terribly sad. I recall a fellow gardener saying no one locked their cars in her little town, except in August….otherwise gardeners would fill them with zucchini!

4. Catherine Tucker August 7, 2019 5:58 am Reply

FYI, I watched a Myna bird drag a neighbors newspaper into the bushes in order to remove the plastic bag for nest building!

5. Gooding August 7, 2019 9:28 am Reply

Yes Kauai is different today. Long gone are the days that Alan spoke of. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed that three of our solar lights on our fence were missing the tops, I guess who ever took it couldn’t take the whole light because it was zip tied to the fence. Kauai is changing, hopefully it will not be for the worst…..

6. I saw a Vampire once August 7, 2019 9:56 am Reply

Wow. Alan after all these years Kauai has remained unchanged. Tapped. The good ole country life. This must be a vacation spot anyone would love.