Letters for Sunday, June 9, 2019

Best to limit house sizes

Thirty years ago I attended an exchange program at UH Manoa. Last year, I went to Hanalei to vacation with my family.

What I saw on both Oahu and Kauai was disturbing to me. There has been so much development. So when I recently read Sue Wilson’s letter, “Home doesn’t belong on ridge,” I figured I’d write, too.

I spent 15 years making a film (“One Big Home”) that follows the efforts in my town (on Martha’s Vineyard island) to limit house size. We learned that there is no downside to setting reasonable limits on house size. The jobs remain, property values are maintained, and the landscape remains more in tact.

As a former carpenter, I can tell you that many, many tradespeople prefer building smaller homes that fit into the community.

Thomas Bena, Chilmark, Mass.

Queen’s Bath changes meant for safety reasons

I am writing in response to the recent article on Queen’s Bath, “Gateway to Problems,” by Jessica Else (TGI June 1).

I am on the Princeville neighborhood committee attempting to find solutions to those problems. It was not mentioned that the main recommendation of the committee was to limit parking and reserve just three to six spaces for local fishermen who could obtain a temporary sticker at the PHCA (Princeville Hanalei Community Association) office.

This would restore parking to its original intended use. This would not restrict anyone from walking or being shuttled in. This would hopefully slow down the “out-of-shape” or less-serious visitors (including, we would hope, families with small children).

There is also a far greater reason for doing this. Local people save tourists’ lives. I have personally witnessed this in dozens of cases when tourists are given lifesaving advice. Maintaining a mix of ocean-experienced locals and tourists is an essential ingredient in ocean safety.

Unfortunately, this is seldom happening. I can see the trailhead (and unsightly fence) from my window. The reason residents are avoiding QB is, first, it is crowded, there is no parking, and thus they are discouraged from coming. I believe locals are more respectful of the closed signs, whereas this has not slowed down visitors at all.

C. Ian Miles, Princeville

Overhead walkway needed in accident area

Regarding TGI story, “Eleele teen hit by a vehicle.” This accident was at Mahea Road and Kaumualii Highway. It said that the teen was attempting to cross the highway when a vehicle hit him. It also states that the teen wasn’t in a crosswalk.

However, by 6:30 a.m. it is fully lighted (now that we are in the summer months). So, what is the reason for the driver not to see the teen?

My next question is, since when is it OK to hit/run over a person not in a crosswalk?

This accident could have been prevented if there was an overhead walkway in that area. How many more accidents or possible deaths have to happen before HDOT and Kauai County get an overhead walkway before school starts up again?

Howard Tolbe, Eleele

1. Imua44 June 9, 2019 6:33 am Reply

It sure seems like more and more people are trying to tell us all how to live, what to build, where to go…..suggestion, let people do what they want. Mind your own business.

2. Charlie Chimknee June 9, 2019 8:18 am Reply

Aloha Thomas Bena,

Seems your small housing plan is fitting for the mainland as while you do not want to expand a singular house, you can always expand yours and your family living space by driving over the next hill or horizon.

We don’t have that luxury. For many when Tutu or your parents’ house is full of family already, you and or the grandkids have to pack it in and break up the family and move mainland…forever…rarely being able to see family again, of ever, due to people passing on.

All new homes on Kauai should have flat roofs so one can build up later on. Even Mayor Derek said we are ready for 3 and 4 story homes.

As well, at whatever house level or story becomes a flat roof it can be converted to food gardens without losing the size of your yard and less exposure to crawling insects vs. your food.

When building always keep an eye to later expansion sideways, backways, and upways. Your grandchildren will love you for it.

Plan ahead, it your family’s Future on Kauai.

Mahalo,

Charles

3. RG DeSoto June 9, 2019 11:08 am Reply

“We learned that there is no downside to setting reasonable limits on house size.”
    Really, Thomas? “Reasonable” is a purely subjective metric. What’s reasonable to A may be completely unreasonable to C….what you really mean is that others should live by your concept of reasonable. You’re just another typical left progressive that thinks the world should live by your rules and conceptions of what is reasonable.
    Mind your own business, live and let live…stop thinking like a tyrant that dictates how others live as long as it’s by your rules.
    RG DeSoto

4. pointfisha June 10, 2019 5:41 pm Reply

Oh, yeah, local fishing rights = get PERMISSION stickers from the Princeville Community Housing Association office, limited to three fishermen. Why not just admit you don’t recognize fishing or access rights and want the PCHA to have all control?

That is, so they can discourage “out of shape” people.

“Aloha Guys, and welcome to Princeville…
    Oh, excuse me, you wish to access the ocean to fish? I’m sorry, sir, but, you will need to show that you meet or exceed our PCHA fitness guidelines before you are issued a parking permit. You may come to the PCHA office between 11:30am and 1:30pm Monday through Friday to complete the fitness evaluation, or you may bring a note from your doctor so that we can issue your permit. We grant three per day, unless someone returns a permit after use; we can reissue a returned permit after verifying that the permittee is no longer parked.
    Aloha, and Mahalo!”

5. I saw a Vampire once June 11, 2019 12:11 am Reply

Maybe the driver just didn’t see the walker crossing the road. And both, the walker didn’t see the driver. Hard luck case.

1. manongindashadow0711 June 12, 2019 9:04 am Reply

Were both of them texting?