Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023 |
Share this story
POIPU Firefighters extinguished a fire that broke out Wednesday night in the Poipu Bay Golf Course clubhouse.
POIPU — Firefighters extinguished a fire that broke out Wednesday night in the Po‘ipu Bay Golf Course clubhouse.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters were dispatched to the clubhouse about 10:30 p.m., when an on-duty security guard of the nearby Grand Hyatt hotel heard the fire alarm sounding and saw smoke emitting from the corner of the building, according to a county press release.
Koloa firefighters were first on scene, and used forcible entry to access the interior of the structure on fire. Personnel from the Kauai Island Utility Cooperative were contacted to turn off power to the building.
Once inside, firefighters found flames coming from an office storage area and were able to quickly knock down the fire through an opening above a partition wall. Kalaheo and Lihue firefighters soon joined the effort, and the fire was deemed under control about 11 p.m. Personnel extinguished all flames and ensured there was no further fire extension in the ceiling.
Fire inspectors estimate damage to the structure and its contents to be roughly $40,000. The affected building area had a working fire alarm, but did not appear to have fire sprinklers.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.