Letters for Sunday, March 17, 2019

Cancellation fee could be game-changer

A well-written article comparing Southwest Air and Hawaiian Air, but you missed one very important difference that will be a challenge for HA. In addition to the free bags offered by SWA which is compared to HA’s $35 inter island and $50 mainland flights per-bag charge, you failed to mention the $200 cancellation penalty levied by HA, which SWA doesn’t charge. It was necessary recently to cancel three different legs of a trip to and from the mainland on HA because of illness and were levied $600 in charges. These charges will be levied when we re-book the unused tickets. I found it rather surprising earlier this year when HA increased their cancellation penalty from $150 to $200 in the face of SW’s arrival. Yes, we love many aspects of HA, but the next 12 to 24 months will be very interesting for travelers.

Benjamin Gillikin, Princeville

Women of Kapahi, unite

It’s 7 a.m. Wednesday in Kapahi, mist still hovers across treetops and the road not yet awake with a morning commute. It’s me and two elder dogs slowly making our way to the falls.

On the return home I catch movement from the corner of my eye and realize I’ve made a grave error. I pass the house of a man my age (mid-50s) buck naked, framed by the doorway of his garage, touching himself, aggressively, and looking directly at me. By aggressively, I mean, masturbating.

Anyone who knows me would think I’d verbally and loudly abuse this perverse knucklehead. But I don’t. It’s the third time it’s happened and not the first time I’ll report it. It stuns me to silence. My silence angers me almost as much as his act.

I call KPD. They arrive at my door quickly and we converse about how to handle this. The end result being, without a second witness or a photo, there’s no probable cause for citation.

So, I return to the scene and walk door-to-door. One neighbor nods affirmatively when I point to his house: “Oh, yeah. He does this all the time. Not to me. But I’ve had multiple women warn me and I don’t let my daughter walk alone to the park.” I leave my number asking her to let these women know I need them to step forward.

Officer Rivera is the investigating officer. He can be reached at: mrivera@kauai.gov or call dispatch to leave a message: 241-1711.

Pam Woolway, Kapaa

1. Hugh G. Recion March 17, 2019 1:51 am Reply

And that is the difference between men and women.
    How many men would call the police over seeing a woman ” touching herself agressively” or masturbating?
    In fact, it would make my day.

1. Micki Evslin March 17, 2019 2:32 pm Reply

Hugh Recion, I am appalled that in this era of Me Too revelations you would still remain clueless as to how repulsive and frightening exposure of this sort is to most women.

2. Jennifer M March 20, 2019 10:45 am Reply

Hugh G. Recion- the difference here is that 99 % of women…. DON’T publicly stand naked, aggressively touching themselves and masturbating in front of walker-bys and strangers! Sheesh.

2. ruthann jones March 17, 2019 5:19 am Reply

more shame for KPD! Don’t they realize this behavior tends to escalate? When he rapes someone will he be slapped on the offending hand? Probably.

3. Major Lee Hung March 17, 2019 8:41 am Reply

Is there not a reasonable expectation of privacy within a home? It sounds to me that little miss I’m offended at what I saw looking into a private dwelling may be a peeping Tom or Tammy.

1. ruthann jones March 18, 2019 11:06 am Reply

Major…time for reading glasses! Did you not read that he stands naked in his front doorway to perform for the neighbors? I hope you are a little more circumspect!

4. Steve Martin March 18, 2019 8:29 pm Reply

Only on Kauai… Pam Woolway writes letter about a man standing in his doorway playing with himself and wouldn’t you know it.. try saying it real slow A “MAJOR LEE HUNG” gentleman gives us his two cents on the actions. thanks Major that’s a classic.

5. KawikaW April 6, 2019 1:12 pm Reply

Well, as gross as it may be, you said that he’s standing inside his garage. That means he is on his own property, inside his own home, and can do whatever he wants. Would be different if he were in the middle of the Kapaa roundabout. Maybe just don’t look over at him?