News You Can Use: Upcoming activities, housing, ID cards

Upcoming veterans activities

Memorial Day Observance, May 28 (Monday), 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Veterans Cemetery

Independence Day Celebration, July 4 (Wednesday), 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Kauai Veterans Center

For more information and questions, call 246-1135.

Security job positions open on Kauai

Veterans preferred. Must be able to obtain “Guard Card” from the State of Hawaii. Call Roger Jensen at (808) 284-1543.

Emergency housing for veterans

U.S. VETS announces emergency housing accommodations for a maximum of five veterans. For eligibility and availability information, contact Marina Buenrostro at (808) 476-0457.

New veteran’s ID cards

After multiple delays, the VA Veteran’s ID Card cards have begun arriving in the mail. All honorably discharged veterans can apply for the ID Card. The card, which is not an official form of federal ID and does not qualify veterans for any federal or military benefits, is meant to serve as proof of past military service at private businesses.

Veterans who hold other ID showing service, such as a military ID or VA health ID card, do not need to apply.

Veterans must apply for the card online via Card applications are not available thru VA facilities. (Source:, May 3)

VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP)

Veterans enrolled in the VA health-care system and beneficiaries of the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the VA (CHAMPVA) can enroll in the VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP).

VADIP offers eligible individuals the opportunity to purchase discounted dental insurance coverage, including diagnostic services, preventive services, endodontic and other restorative services, surgical services and emergency services.

Individuals who enroll in one of the dental insurance plans are responsible to pay the entire premium in addition to the full cost of any copayments. Enrollment is voluntary and does not affect eligibility for VA outpatient dental services and treatment. For more information visit or call 877-222-8387.

VA disability claims assistance

Veterans with a current health problem that they believe started on or as a result of their active duty service should consider filing a claim with the VA. Disabilities need not be combat or even work related; they can be the result of playing sports, falling out of your rack, participating in unit PT or a car accident while on leave.

For those veterans already receiving VA disability benefits for service-connected conditions, be aware that disabilities seldom improve over time; they normally worsen. If a veteran who is already service connected for a disability feels that it has worsened, they are encouraged to contact an accredited Veterans Services Officer (VSO) to inquire about the possibility of increased benefits. The VSO will fully explain the claims application process and help complete all the necessary paperwork for submission to VA.

To meet with a VSO to discuss these and other benefits, call the Kauai Office of Veterans’ Services at 241-3346/48 to schedule an appointment.


Tony Elliott, Kauai Office of Veterans’ Services, can be reached at 241-3348.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.