Coco Palms case dismissed

• Bethany Freudenthal / The Garden Island

Both parties agree to dismiss a quiet-title case involving development company Coco Palms Hui LLC before Circuit Court Chief Judge Randal Valenciano Thursday.

LIHUE — A motion to dismiss a quiet title case filed against Coco Palms Hui LLC, was granted during civil proceedings Thursday in Fifth Circuit Court, but that’s not the end of the Coco Palms legal battle according to those involved.

Instead, Noa Mau-Espirito, who originally filed the proceedings, said he and his group are planning on filing a lawsuit against the development company in federal court.

Co-plaintiff Kamu “Charles” Hepa agreed that the case should be dismissed.

The reason they’re doing this is that arguing over ownership by TMK (tax map key) numbers violates U.S. Constitutional law.

“For me to be arguing over this TMK issue, is total fraud and I realize I should have not filed in the beginning. So I apologize to everybody, for wasting everybody’s time,” Mau-Espirito said in court on Thursday. “It was after what I did what I did, I realized from some of my councils and my uncles that I did the wrong thing and that it’s not the proper way for us to go about this issue.”

Arguing on behalf of defendants and owners of Coco Palms Hui LLC, Chad Waters and Tyler Greene, Attorney Laurel Loo told the court the plaintiffs had not filed an opposition to their motion to dismiss. Their complaint, she said, does not establish a case on title.

The defendants motion to dismiss was granted.

“Ms. Loo, given how this matter has unfolded, I’ll be granting the motion to dismiss, by way of agreement of all of the parties,” Valenciano ruled.

Bethany Freudenthal, courts, crime and county reporter, can be reached at 652-7891 or bfreudenthan@thegardenisland.com.

1. Manawai May 4, 2018 3:12 am Reply

Wasting everyone’s time and embarrassing their ohana is what they’re good at.

2. Manawai May 4, 2018 5:54 am Reply

Go fight the big fight of sovereignty on the world stage. As it is now with these quiet title actions, you and your puppet master, R. C., are but flies buzzing over the poi.

1. RC May 29, 2018 5:08 pm Reply

Noa throwing people under the bus. Yikes. Glad I am not involved.

3. harryoyama2 May 4, 2018 7:34 am Reply

The State of Hawaii fears any case going to the Federal level because by legal definition, the State of Hawaii never had legal standing against the Hawaiian nation and in fact violated the Constitional remedy for native peoples rights.

4. Reverend Malama Robinson May 4, 2018 8:25 am Reply

Correction! Hawai’i is an Independent Neutral Country.
    HAWAIIANKINGDOM.ORG

5. James Kuroiwa May 4, 2018 10:29 am Reply

Mau-Espirito and Hepa has been guided down the wrong path. The U.S. Courts have ruled in 1910 in Liliuokalani v Hawaii, 2000 in Rice v Cayetano, and 2009 in Hawaii v OHA on Hawaii;s Ceded Lands and its history. The State would have provided a better course in any resolution.

6. TrueJustice May 15, 2018 10:49 am Reply

In order to do what is right, we must go down the wrong path. The smartest thing man ever did was realize his own ignorance. Get it right, I know your still own and occupy that land. No harm, no foul.

7. RC May 29, 2018 5:10 pm Reply

I am not sure what happened or why. There are other ways to handle what has happened. “Fraud” in a court without proof? Not a good thing.

8. RC May 29, 2018 5:13 pm Reply

The Federal Law Suit is still waiting for the Federal Judge to rule on a Constitutional “Separation of Church and State” and Freedom of Religion” based upon the Iwi.

I am not sure why the Iwi have been allowed to be desecrated in Hawaii. Not acceptable here.

9. Sally Ann September 7, 2019 11:18 pm Reply

How can TaxMapKey be a fraud offense? Did they not find his ancestors Royal Patent number and documents? Their written testimony on how they acquired the land? Please explain. I’ve found my ancestors Royal Patents (3 of them) and how King Kamehameha gave him land for being his advisor and friend. I just don’t understand this case.