Breaking News

Breaking News

Buckeye Bottoms is back

• Photo submitted by Dr. Bartholomew Buckeye Bottoms

“The Adventures of Dr. Buckeye Bottoms” premieres today at 3 p.m. on NatGeo Wild.

KAPAA — It’s been 11 years in the making, and this afternoon a series following the Hawaii adventures of veterinarian Bartholomew Buckeye Bottoms is airing on NatGeo Wild.

The show, entitled “The Adventures of Dr. Buckeye Bottoms,” follows the mobile vet.

It’s the first of eight and Bottoms says it has taken a lot of work to get to this point.

“It’s intense,” he said.

Bottoms started his career as a veterinarian in Santa Cruz in 2006 and later started providing mobile vet services on Kauai and Maui. Though he’s based on Kauai’s eastside, he roams all over the island treating animals.

In March 2017, the first three segments of the show aired as a pilot-show, and were well received — enough to sign for a full eight episodes with NatGeo and to put months of production work on Bottoms’ plate.

In the first two episodes, Bottoms treats dogs, pigs, cattle, horses, donkeys, and alpaca goats all making appearances in clips like “Pig-Squeak,” “Off-Roading Vet,” “Pregnant Pygmy Goats” and “It’s Like Pulling Teeth.”

Other animals join the cast as the series moves on and Bottoms travels around the Hawaiian Islands visiting people at their homes and on their small farms.

“It’s a brief snipping of my life as a mobile vet in Maui and Kauai. I’ve been doing this for 13 or 14 years,” he said. “We’ve really made a good show. It’s beautiful looking and has funny characters and interesting storylines.”

Bottoms took over for Kauai’s Aloha Vet, Dr. Scott Sims when the renowned mobile vet died in 2015 after a two-month fight with bladder cancer. Sims also had a television series and was known as the Barefoot Veterinarian.

“I got a bunch of texts and emails the day Scott died and ended up moving over and helping fill part of that void,” Bottoms said.

He sees animals at their worst, he says, and sometimes Bottoms encounters abuse and neglect while he’s on the job.

That’s one of the reasons why he decided to do “The Adventures of Dr. Buckeye Bottoms” with NatGeo.

“Part of my goal for this show is to make people feel something, to teach them something and maybe give them a slightly different perspective on vet care and animal care,” he said.

Jessica Else, environmental reporter, can be reached at 245-0452 or jelse@thegardenisland.com.

1. Barbara April 7, 2018 6:48 pm Reply

Dr. Buckeye Bottoms used to be our horse vet back in California. Glad to see the series will continue. We love to watch and are so happy that he has found happiness as a Kauai vet. I always knew that where there is surf, you will find him.

2. Barb April 29, 2018 12:18 pm Reply

I LOVE this show!!! Please don’t cancel it. It’s a win win series. You learn things and you see the islands. My husband and I used to have a place on Maui at Maui Kam and I see and miss the islands. Keep up the good work Buckeye. Aloha and mahalo

3. Noreen Farrell May 5, 2018 4:13 pm Reply

Love the Buckeye Bottoms series- it’s beautiful and interesting to see the vistas of Hawaii and to see the variety of animals he treats. He has a quirky,likeable personality and manner and seems to also be a capable,caring vet. Please don’t cancel!

4. Lisa M. Smith May 6, 2018 4:26 pm Reply

Love this show! Learn so much from it and love watching him! Please dont cancel.

5. Claudia May 7, 2018 5:21 am Reply

The Adventures of Buckeye Bottoms is a fantastic addition to the NatGeo lineup. He is a compassionate individual who imparts a message within every episode. Please renew this show!

6. Linda May 12, 2018 9:06 am Reply

Definitely a “Triple Threat” – Buckeye / Hawaii / & Animals – what more could you ask for! Dr. Buckeye is truly an amazing person with a great sense of humor and compassion. Please renew this show for many years to come!

7. Chris May 13, 2018 8:46 am Reply

Im a big fan of the show . Due to a camera angle on May 12 show I noticed that Kevin is not neutered

What’s up with that?

1. Casey May 19, 2018 4:04 pm Reply

I watched the episode as well and wondered the same thing – how can a vet tout the benefits of spaying and neutering and have an intact dog !!!

2. Sally Shelden May 19, 2018 4:20 pm Reply

I have the same question. Hard to miss.

8. Charlotte Stargel May 14, 2018 5:07 am Reply

Figarow1957@yahoo.com
    Please don’t cancel his program, we need more shows like this.
    Clean and fun show, his passion and love for animals and their owners
    Is awesome…thank you

9. Paula Jean Tigert May 14, 2018 2:11 pm Reply

It’s a great family show and there are not a lot of them anymore. Please keep the show on. Plus hes not bad on the eyes!

10. Beth May 14, 2018 3:13 pm Reply

I love this show and hope it will continue for a long time. I do have one question and it’s probably a silly one, but does Buckeye use the same truck on different islands? If so, how does he transport the truck?

1. Drew May 26, 2018 8:12 am Reply

I was wondering the same. I thought he was here on Maui then found out he was on Kauai. Looked it up and it says he’s based on both. There’s no easy feasible way to get a truck back n forth from Maui to Kauai. He either has the same model truck or they’re lying saying he’s doing business on maui.

11. Cynthia May 15, 2018 5:49 am Reply

Love Buckeye. It’s evident that he has a love for all animals. We watch every show. Hoping it continues for a long time.

1. Alie May 3, 2019 7:18 pm Reply

I read in another post that Dr. Buckeye actual has several vehicles in different locations on the island & that’s how he gets around.

12. Tina May 16, 2018 11:08 pm Reply

Love to watch Dr. Buckeye… Recently discovered the TV series and am watching all episodes.
    Hope it stays on for a long time… Interesting, educational and entertaining. Buckeye has a great personality.

13. Sally Shelden May 19, 2018 4:13 pm Reply

I noticed Kevin is not neutered. What’s up with that?

14. Leslye Urbach May 19, 2018 5:37 pm Reply

leslye.urbach@gmail.com

Dr. Buckeye is fantastic!! He is the BEST on screen Vet- SO caring, kind, and smart with his patients and people! Rare! Please extend his contract!

15. Michelle Tallchief May 19, 2018 5:40 pm Reply

Excellent series and such a kind doctor. Kudos to Nat geo Wild!

16. Kellen May 19, 2018 6:49 pm Reply

This show is an absolute delight. It has already become a family favorite. My wife, 2 kids and I love watching Dr. Buckeye. He is informative as well as very entertaining. Knowledge + laughter = powerful combination.

17. Margaret E Filman May 19, 2018 7:51 pm Reply

We also wondered why Kevin isn’t neutered. Vets normally recommend it. Buckeye’s truck seems to follow him as he flies from island to island. We’ve been thinking he may actually live in his truck, This is the ideal show…educational AND entertaining.

1. Terri November 12, 2019 2:12 pm Reply

Is there a reason kevin the dog is not neutered. Dr buckeye – please respond

18. Gail May 20, 2018 2:24 pm Reply

What an honorable position to take stepping up to the plate in covering for Dr. Sims. He is truly missed.
    Thank you Dr Bottoms for giving back of your gift and your love of animals!

19. Lynne May 20, 2018 4:34 pm Reply

There is a tremendous amount of peer-reviewed research available on the health benefits of leaving dogs (male or female) intact for at least a couple of years, perhaps longer, depending on the situation and the owner’s level of responsibility. As research is ongoing, what we used to believe is true is found to not be a black and white thing. Here in the States we are used to seeing de-sexed dogs but that is a cultural thing as well as a necessity for shelters to neuter before placing (because of owner behavior, not dog behavior). In Europe dogs are raised very differently and they are mostly left intact. No fighting, no random breeding, fewer dog aggression problems. I’d say a vet is usually a pretty good risk for keeping an intact animal, and if you have ever been to the islands you would know that MANY of the dogs you see are toting testicles.

20. Carol May 26, 2018 7:15 am Reply

In Europe they have very different views on animals in general and many countries have many, many strays wandering the streets and little to no help for them. I don’t think there is any justification for leaving a male dog intact for more than the first year and that is stretching it. They tend to learn bad social behaviour that may not go away after neuter and still run higher risk of testicular cancer later in life.

I was kind of shocked that a vet would have a rescue animal and not have it altered. He, of all people, should understand how important it is not just to decrease animal overpopulation but for the health of the dog. I figured that apparently the guy thing must have overpowered the vet thing. Come on, Buckeye!

21. Debbie May 26, 2018 11:46 am Reply

I was wondering if Buckeye or any of his clients were effected by the volcano? Best wishes to them all.

22. Bob Busby May 27, 2018 4:26 am Reply

How does buckeye get his truck from island to island

23. Leon clark May 28, 2018 1:48 pm Reply

Huge Fan of the series. I am curious as to how the Dr. moves his truck from Island to Island. Does he have more then one truck?

24. Tanya Croxton May 28, 2018 5:30 pm Reply

If yall would notice, regarding his trucks, one is a GMC and one is a Chevy. As far as Kevin, i dont claim to know if he is neutured or not, but i do know, some vets leave the “sack” now. Ive been concerned about the volcanoes as well and have not been able tofind any information. Its a Great show and i hope and pray everyone is safe. May God Bless all of the people and animals on the islands.Aloha

25. Juanita C. Pierce May 29, 2018 10:21 pm Reply

We truly enjoy watching Dr. Buckeye Bottoms! The scenery of the islands are beautiful. We especially appreciate his mix of compassion and wisdom, ingenuity and his humor is fun! Kevin is so loveable! Perhaps he has a special someone he is breeding with before being neutered. I do not know, it is his owner’s decision. I pray that all of the cast are safe and well from the effects of the volcano’s eruption. My prayers are with everyone and their animals! Thank you for such an enjoyable, clean show!

26. Cheis June 7, 2018 3:27 pm Reply

I’m from NW Ohio. My daughter has a baby goat who she insists on having Buckeye Bottoms come and make better. I tried explaining that Hawii is from from the Buckeye State.

27. Marcia stewart June 9, 2018 11:15 am Reply

I love this show. I’m an animal lover and have learned a lot. Educational and enjoyable. I hope it’s on for a long time.

28. Sandy June 11, 2018 6:53 pm Reply

Love the show, also !!😍
    I would like to see him have a few minutes on each show to answer questions submitted by his fans. Love that he is also a “hugger”!!
    Wow, is he available?? 😂😍

29. Siletz Oregon Farm June 11, 2018 7:29 pm Reply

Why isn’t anyone answering the questions??? We are all wanting to know about Kevin appearing but to be altered? Also if he owns two different trucks, one per island? I’m wondering what kind of money he makes just as a mobile vet and also for being on the show? Thanks

30. Stephanie June 16, 2018 4:44 pm Reply

I love this show and Buckeye’s unique personality. Hope to be able to watch for many years to come. I do think he is helping people understand and see what it takes to be a good pet owner.

31. Jemaa Kealoha June 22, 2018 2:22 pm Reply

Hello Doc,

My daughter (the above) lives in Kilauea and is a total animal lover. She’s been saving and adopting many of the stray cats on the island as well as chickens. I hear them crowing a lot when we talk on the phone. I watch your show a LOT and haven’t seen you deal much with cats. She has a female kitty that needs spaying. Do you do that? I hope so. But if you do mostly the big animals I get that.

Thanks for all you do to educate and help. Good onya, Jemaa’s mom

32. Ron Brunsky June 25, 2018 12:46 pm Reply

This is a great show! I was wondering if more episodes are coming. I was curious about his truck too. We were also wondering if he was married, where he lives and does he have an office??

33. Beverly Brenner July 19, 2018 9:44 am Reply

Pleas renew Buckeye Bottoms. Vet. Show we all love watching.

34. Judy September 16, 2018 8:07 am Reply

miss this show and want to know if it is coming back and if so when….Buckeye is an amazing vet and cares about the animals he treats as well as their owners….hope to hear that we will see him again soon…

35. Joyce October 11, 2018 8:03 am Reply

We have been waiting for Dr. Buckeye Bottoms new Series 3. Hope he hasn’t been canceled. Tried watching all other Vet shows and will ONLY watch Buckeye Bottoms. Please bring him back. Very educational and entertaining. Great personality.

36. Susan Townsend December 18, 2018 11:47 am Reply

When will the new season of The Adventures of Buckeye Bottoms come on? I am not sure Season 3 is the newest one because even though Direct TV shows it as new, we have seen them. We used to watch Aloha Vet and loved that one too. So much better than Dr. Pol

37. julie lochner March 3, 2019 5:39 pm Reply

Love this show, don’t cancel. Still waiting for new season to air. Is anybody responding to these e mails ? Im from Santa Cruz also. Did you attend O Neils funeral last year.

38. Carole Giard April 27, 2019 2:41 am Reply

Bonjour from Canada :-). I have been watching this show for a little while and thoroughly enjoy every minute! I hope it stays on for a long time! Love you Buckeye! xoxox