NAWILIWILI — Firefighters responded to a structure fire that broke out Monday afternoon on Wilcox Road in Nawiliwili.
No injuries were reported.
Multiple units were dispatched shortly before 5:30 p.m. to find smoke emitting from the window of a third-floor unit at Banyan Harbor.
A security guard and the unit’s occupant used multiple fire extinguishers to quickly control and put out the flames.
Firefighters removed the smoldering materials and further ensured that the fire did not extend into the ceiling and walls.
Officials determined that the fire was confined to the room of origin, and the scene was cleared shortly before 6:30 p.m.
Fire inspectors estimate the damage to the structure and its contents to be roughly $2,000. The cause of the fire appears to be accidental.
“We are fortunate for the quick use of fire extinguishers during Monday’s incident,” said Kauai Fire Department Chief Robert Westerman. “It’s important that fire extinguishers are updated and maintained, as they are often the first line of fire defense in a home or business.”
Additionally, fire officials are reminding the public of a recent fire extinguisher recall that was reported by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
“Two styles for Kidde disposable fire extinguishers were recalled in November,” said KFD Deputy Chief Kilipaki Vaughan. “These styles include Kidde’s plastic handle fire extinguishers, and plastic push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers. We encourage the public to check and make sure their fire extinguishers are working properly.”
Recall info: www.cpsc.gov/Recalls or toll-free 1-800-638-2772.
To learn more about fire safety and prevention, contact KFD’s Fire Prevention Bureau at 241-4985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.