Carbon monoxide from wood burning stove sickens 10

LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials in Florida suspect seven children and three adults were sickened by carbon monoxide when they improperly used a wood burning stove in their apartment.

Rescue crews treated the family after being called to the apartment complex near Fort Lauderdale on Thursday morning. In a news release, Broward Sheriff’s Battalion Chief Michael Kane said the patients were vomiting and complaining of headaches.

All 10 patients were in critical condition when they were taken to a hospital.

A hazardous materials team ventilated the apartment and checked all nearby residences.

Kane says the family was using the wood burning stove as a makeshift heating device as temperatures dipped to the upper 50s in the area early Thursday.

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.