FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a toddler in Flint, Michigan, has been seriously hurt after being run over by a van driven by her mother, who was preparing to unload cases of water.
Many residents in the city consume bottled water since lead was detected in the municipal water supply. It wasn’t clear why the mother bought the water.
Police said Sarah Freshcosy was backing up her van in the family’s driveway Tuesday afternoon to unload the water when 2-year-old Jasmine stepped behind the vehicle.
Jasmine is hospitalized in critical condition.
Flint’s water was tainted with the toxin for at least 18 months starting in spring 2014, as the city didn’t treat river water to reduce corrosion. Experts say tap water is safe to consume, but they recommend filters.