Girl run over by van in Flint as mother delivers water cases

FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a toddler in Flint, Michigan, has been seriously hurt after being run over by a van driven by her mother, who was preparing to unload cases of water.

Many residents in the city consume bottled water since lead was detected in the municipal water supply. It wasn’t clear why the mother bought the water.

Police said Sarah Freshcosy was backing up her van in the family’s driveway Tuesday afternoon to unload the water when 2-year-old Jasmine stepped behind the vehicle.

Jasmine is hospitalized in critical condition.

Flint’s water was tainted with the toxin for at least 18 months starting in spring 2014, as the city didn’t treat river water to reduce corrosion. Experts say tap water is safe to consume, but they recommend filters.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.