Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023 |
Share this story
These are warning signs of acute suicide risk:
• Threatening to hurt or kill him/herself, or talking of wanting to hurt or kill him/herself
• Looking for ways to kill him/herself by seeking access to firearms, available pills, or other means
• Talking or writing about death, dying or suicide, when these actions are out of the ordinary
Here are some expanded warning signs of suicide risk:
• Increased substance (alcohol or drug) use
• No reason for living; no sense of purpose in life
• Anxiety, agitation, unable to sleep or sleeping all of the time
• Feeling trapped, like there’s no way out
• Withdrawal from friends, family and society
• Rage, uncontrolled anger, seeking revenge
• Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities, seemingly without thinking
• Dramatic mood changes
If observed, seek help as soon as possible by contacting a mental health professional or call a local or national suicide response hotline. These warning signs were compiled by a task force of expert clinical researchers.
Source: American Association of Suicidology http://www.suicidology.org/resources/warning-signs.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.