Surfrider Foundation, Kaua’i Chapter, said there were a number of reasons why people opposed the Superferry.
• Ship speeds over 15 knots are considered dangerous to whales. The ferry was a huge ship that could reach speeds of 45 knots. A ship strike on a 45-ton humpback whale would mean instant death to the endangered species.
• The ferry held hundreds of cars which would dump out vehicles in Lihue in a massive traffic jam. Due to the boom in tourism at the time, traffic was at an all-time high.
• There was no plan to protect the island from hitch-hiking invasive plants and animals.
• There was a fear that people from Oahu would come to fish, gather, surf, etc., without having camping permits or accommodations, perhaps sleeping in their automobiles.
• There was widespread belief that the boom in tourism at the time was no longer healthy for the Kauai economy and that it had reached its limit.
The Garden Island