Tuesday, July 5, 2022 |
Share this story
If you’re trying to decide what to do this weekend, you came to the right place.
Your choices are so many on Saturday, it’s likely you’ll end up going to more than one event. One thing for sure, you won’t — or you shouldn’t — end up staying home.
What do you feel like supporting with your hard-earned money?
The Kauai Veterans Museum?
The Kauai Humane Society?
The National Tropical Botanical Society?
Or maybe you would rather get in some exercise.
Or how about a movie?
Or would you like to root for keiki in a surfing contest?
Whatever it is, you’ll have some tough decisions to make. The good news is, no matter what you pick, you win.
Here’s what’s happening on Kauai Saturday.
• The Kauai Veterans Museum is presenting “A Night at The Museum” — a Broadway show to salute Armed Forces — at the Kauai Veterans Center. It will include reenactment of scenes from the popular TV series, “MASH.” It is 5:30 p.m. to midnight. The fifth annual fundraiser will include dinner, music and a silent auction. It will be held outside on the lawn. The funds will go to help pay for remodeling and restoration of the museum, which was built nearly 25 years ago. Tickets for “A Night at The Museum” are $90. They are available at the Kauai Veterans Museum, the Kauai Museum, Pono Market, Scotty’s Music House Kauai, Ono Family Restaurant, Hanalei Surf, Progressive Expressions Inc., Kalaheo Cafe and Ishihara Market.
• The first Dog House Beer Fest is at the Sheraton Kauai. There will be about 40 different craft beers from 20 brewers and food from several restaurants. The fundraiser will benefit two great organizations, the Kauai Humane Society and Junior Achievement Kauai. Ten brewers from around the state, and 10 from the Mainland, will be there. This on is all about the beer. Includes music. It is 2 to 6 p.m. Tickets are $90. Info: kauaihumane.org
• The ninth annual Mayor-a-thon will be at Kapaa Beach Park. All participants will receive a free cinch bag from Kaiser Permanente, the main sponsor of this event. Participants can walk, run or bike one, two, four, six or eight miles on Ke Ala Hele Makalae, the multi-use path. Dogs on leashes are welcome. There will be music, prizes and lots of exercises. And breakfast and coffe. It’s all free. Just stop by and join us. Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. will likely lead us in the Electric Slide. Check-in begins at 6:30 a.m., warm-up is at 7 a.m. and the event starts at 7:15 a.m.
• Deja Vu Surf Hawaii will host its 7th annual Free Keiki Surf Contest at Kalapaki Beach. Start time is 8 a.m. Seventy-two keiki will compete in three surfing divisions: ages 8 and under, ages 9-10 and ages 11-12. The purpose of the contest is to give youth the exposure to contest format surfing. Every participant will win an O’Neill backpack filled with prizes and served a lunch donated by Duke’s.
• Movie Night at NTBG: 5 to 9 p.m. E.T. will fill the big screen Bring your friends, family and favorite beach chair to the South Shore Visitors Center and enjoy an evening of family friendly activities, Kauai’s favorite food trucks and a movie under the stars. Free parking will be available. $10 in advance at ntbgmovienights.brownpapertickets.com
w There is also a Family movie night, 6:30 p.m., at Crossroads Christian Fellowship on the Kapaa Bypass. The main feature will be “Hidden Figures.” Free chili, hot dogs, candy, nachos.
And if you’re a green thumb, you might like this one: Free workshop on aquatic plants: 9:05 to 10:05 a.m. Kauai Nursery & Landscaping in Puhi. Learn how to have an affordable and low-maintenance water feature in yard or garden. Containers, plants and more will be discussed.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.