Fire guts Hanapepe home, no one injured

HANAPEPE — A fire destroyed a Hanapepe home Tuesday morning. There were no injuries.

The adult female who lives in the residence reported that she was sleeping when the crackling of the fire woke her up and she fled the home about 5 a.m.

The three-bedroom, one-story house on Awawa Road was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

Officials believe the fire was started by an unattended candle in one of the bedrooms.

The fire was fully extinguished about 6:30 a.m., but the home is considered a total loss and damage to the structure and its contents is estimated to be roughly $100,000.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross are assisting the woman who lived in the home.

Firefighters from the Hanapepe, Waimea and Lihue stations responded to the scene, along with police and the on-duty battalion chief.

Firefighters used defensive tactics to contain the fire and protect neighboring homes.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.