PUHI — The first phase of the Puhi Road rehabilitation project spanning from Kaumuali’i Highway to Kaneka Street will begin on Tuesday, May 10. The project is expected to be completed early next year weather permitting.
Work hours will be Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The roadway will be completely reconstructed using Portland cement to better support heavy truck traffic.
Other improvements include sidewalks, bike lanes as well as drainage improvements.
The tentative schedule for the project is as follows:
• May 10 – Drainage improvements along Leleiona Road at its Puhi Road intersection.
• May 18 – Excavation work will begin at Kaumualii Highway and a concrete pour test strip will be done fronting Puhi Plaza Village.
• June 23 – The reconstruction work will kick into high gear with one lane of Puhi Road closed at all times until Oct. 25. During that time, only southbound traffic traveling away from Kaumuali‘i Highway will be allowed on Puhi Road. Traffic leaving the Puhi Industrial Park will be directed to take a detour that follows Kaneka Street and Nuhou Street to Kaumuali‘i Highway.
• Oct. 25 – The intersections of Leleiona and Kaneka Street will be worked on until the beginning of the New Year.
• Sidewalks and driveway aprons will be constructed in phases.
The Garden Island