LIHUE — Registration for the Keiki and Junior Lifeguard programs will begin on May 2. The program is open to youth, ages 12 to 17, who can swim and run 100 yards nonstop.
The Junior Lifeguard Program will be training for its 13th consecutive year as state Junior Lifeguard champions.
The Kauai Keiki Lifeguard Program is available for children ages 8 to 11 who can swim and run 50 yards nonstop.
There are six locations in the program and registration is limited to 50 participants per site. Participants will need to bring their own lunch, sunscreen and a towel to the training daily.
The free week-long program runs 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates:
• June 6-10 at Salt Pond Beach
• June 13-17 at Hanalei Bay (Keiki program only)
• June 20-24 at Kalapaki Beach
• June 27-July 1 at Poipu Beach (Junior program only)
• July 11-15 at Hanalei Bay
• July 18-22 at Kalapaki Beach
The Garden Island