Born in England, Henry Digby Sloggett (1876-1938) came to the United States in 1883 with his parents, Dr. Henry Charles and Annie Sloggett, and was educated at the University of the South in Tennessee.
Following his arrival in Hawaii in 1896, he was first employed by Lihue Plantation Co., later by Maui Agricultural Co., and when his brother-in-law, Grove Farm Plantation general manager Charles Wilcox, was killed in a car accident on Kauai in 1920, Grove Farm owner George Norton Wilcox hired Sloggett as his assistant.
On Kauai, Sloggett and his wife, Lucy Etta Wilcox Sloggett — a granddaughter of Abner and Lucy Hart Wilcox, missionaries stationed at Waioli, Kauai from 1846 until 1869 — made their residence with their children in the once stately but now derelict Grove Farm manager’s house on Nawiliwili Road.
Mr. Sloggett also served as treasurer of Grove Farm from 1922 to 1937 and director from 1924 to 1938.
In 1925, Henry Digby and Lucy Etta Sloggett donated the five acres in Kapaa upon which All Saints’ Episcopal Church was constructed — the first Anglican Church on Kauai.
That same year, the Sloggetts built a cabin in Kokee for use as a family retreat that Henry Digby’s and Lucy Etta’s children donated to the YWCA of Kauai after his death in 1938.
Since then, Camp Sloggett has been visited and enjoyed by untold numbers of campers and families from around the world.
Henry Digby Sloggett was actively interested in the history and archaeology of Kauai.
For instance, during December 1933, a team of expert volunteers led by Sloggett restored the Holoholoku Heiau located just east of the Wailua Birthstones.
Using traditional Hawaiian building techniques and native materials, Kapaa resident Charles Lono Kelekoma built an authentic 8-by-12-foot grass hut within the walls of the heiau.
An oracle tower was built and three wooden idols were carved and set nearby as well.
Mr. and Mrs. Sloggett had five children: Richard, Margaret, Dorothea, Edith and Arthur.