Richard Henry Sloggett Sr. (1904-1991) was born at Hanamaulu, Kauai, the son of Henry Digby Sloggett and Lucy Etta Wilcox Sloggett – a granddaughter of Abner and Lucy Hart Wilcox, missionaries stationed at Waioli, Kauai, from 1846 until 1869.
After completing agricultural studies at the University of California at Davis, Sloggett returned to Kauai to accept a position as timekeeper at Makee Sugar Co., Kealia in 1928.
One cherished memory of those early days was when his mother’s uncle, George Norton Wilcox, the owner of Grove Farm Plantation, once stopped by Sloggett’s house in Kapaa to leave some pineapples he’d bought and Sloggett and his wife, Susan, observed their children, Nancy and Dickie, saying, “Oh, he looks like Santa Claus coming with the pineapples (because he had a beard).”
In 1937, Sloggett resigned as division overseer at Makee Sugar to purchase Wailua Ranch – comprised of 75 acres in the vicinity of today’s Hindu Monastery on Kuamoo Road, as well as adjacent pastures leased from Lihue Plantation.
During World War II, Sloggett’s cattle pastures were commandeered by the U.S. Army as a training area for which Sloggett was reimbursed, and upon which the Army built a tent city for a regiment of soldiers, which the Army removed at war’s end.
Sloggett gave up the cattle business in 1951 and was hired by Grove Farm as ranch manager, a position he held until 1967, the year Grove Farm decided to liquidate its ranching operations.
Over the years, Sloggett and his family enjoyed spending many happy summers at the Sloggett beach house on Hanalei Bay.
A two-story building built by Sloggett’s parents and situated beyond the intersection of Weke and Malolo roads, the Sloggett beach house remained the property of the Sloggett family until 1968.
Richard Henry Sloggett Sr. was also a director of Grove Farm Plantation and headed the board that developed Grove Farm Homestead Museum.
He and Susan Sloggett had three children: Nancy, Richard Jr. and Sally Sloggett.
Anna Sloggett was his second wife.