LIHUE — A seminar to nourish the spirit, mind, body, and relationships is scheduled Saturday at St. Michaels and All Angels Episcopal Church.
The Rev. Kaleo Patterson will be the main speaker at “The Spirit That Heals.” His keynote address is titled, “Aloha is Peace.”
Patterson will speak about indigenous groups of Asia and the Pacific people who have chosen to live their lives in peaceful ways. Some of the groups include Batek, Inuit, Chewong, Tahitians and the Native Hawaiians. Patterson will explore the elements of peacemaking and how these traditions developed.
“There are a number of groups throughout the world, but there are different types throughout the world who have made commitments to live their lives peacefully and non-violently,” he said.
Rev. Phyllis Meighen, event coordinator, admires Patterson’s work.
“He is one of the prime movers for peace and justice within the Hawaiian community and between the Hawaiian community and the larger society,” Meighen said. “I think we are in a time of chaos and real hurting, and this event really allows us to come together to allow the spirit to enter in to bring forth a sense of peace, a sense of fullness.”
Patterson is an Episcopal priest and a Hawaiian cultural practitioner, who is the founding president of the Kahu Hikina ‘akala, a state curatorship of the Wailua Systems of Heiau on Kauai.
The seminar runs from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 and includes workshops:
• Healing Art with artist Liedeke Bulder;
• Centering Prayer with Contemplative Outreach of Hawaii facilitator Karen Johnson;
• Labyrinths with designer & installer Bob Vlach of Oregon;
• Essential Oils with Do-Terra consultants Bricille Dawkins and Lani Sibayan;
• Psycho-Spiritual Healing with clinical psychologist Dr. Susan Davis;
• Healing Touch with practitioners Savitri Kumaran, Tolly Boyd, Sandy Gerrard, and DeAnna Starinieri.
The event will conclude with a worship service.
It costs $30 in advance and $35 at the door, which includes lunch and materials.
Info: www.resourceforchristianspirituality.com or (808) 245-3796.